News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac or LaSalle. How can they be distinguished?

Started by Gergely Szentmartony 25603, January 13, 2011, 02:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gergely Szentmartony 25603

I found this photo in a very old newspaper. It was issued on June 9th, 1929.
It seems to be a 1929 MY LaSalle. I guess it because it was written under the photo (in a special way :)).

However, normally if there is no caption then how can it be identified whether it is a Cadillac or a LaSalle?
"Brougham - For all the reasons you have ever wanted a Cadillac"

www.cadillaclasalle.hu

Terry Wenger

Gergely:

It is not too easy. One thing in this photo is the tail light. It is high and oval shaped on the LaSalle where the Cadillacs of 1929 had ball-shaped tail lights and they were mounted lower. Most Cadillacs had two compartment doors just above the running boards that the LaSalles didn't have, but these would be hidden in this picture.

Terry Wenger
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

veesixteen

The easy answer is "look at the wheel hub emblem"; however, in an image of this quality it's hard to distinguish the distinctive, 6-sided LaSalle "diamond" emblem with the diagonal red and blue stripes.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

veesixteen

1928 La Salle hub cap emblem
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Gergely Szentmartony 25603

Thank you both for the help.
I zoomed in the two details you mentioned. Now it is absolutely clear that it was a '29 LaSalle.

Just for additional information. The people in the photo (from left to right) are:
- Andor Reiman - who was the importer of Cadillac/LaSalle cars in Hungary that time. They called LaSalle as "Little Cadillac".
- Anne Kardos (sister of László Kardos (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0439107/), and second wife of Szőke Szakáll)
- Szőke Szakáll, (known as S.Z. Sakall): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._Z._Sakall
"Brougham - For all the reasons you have ever wanted a Cadillac"

www.cadillaclasalle.hu