News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

GM trim tool B-127 (For 1936 Cadillac)

Started by Jon Riley #13576, January 15, 2011, 10:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Riley #13576

Hi,

I am trying to remove the interior door handles from a 1936 Cadillac 75.  I am looking for the same or equivalent.

R Schroeder

This guy had some listed for sale, back in 2009. I dont know if he has more.
Maybe he knows where to get them.
Roy

http://www.mcveys.com/files/Price%20List%208.31.09.pdf

35-709

Assuming the handles use the same fastening method as on my '35, any tool like an awl with the last 1/2 inch or so bent 90 degrees will suffice.  Once you learn how to remove the handles  they are relatively easy and they don't require a "special" tool.  After getting the first one off pay close attention to how the little cylindrical, spring loaded, catch works and practice with it while off the car, then the rest of them should be fairly easy to get.  A friend helping me with mine swore up and down that they could not be removed, an old-time body man, also helping, took the 90 degree prick punch (that I bought at Harbor Freight) from him and popped the handle off quicker than it takes to tell it.  Once he had "the knack" my friend had them all off in no time.  Good luck. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Classic

What you need is a hook and pick set like this:  Craftsman 4 pc. Pick and Hook Set  Sold by Sears | Sears Item# 00941513000 | Model# 41513.   They should have them at your local Sears store  $7.99.  Harbor Freight may have something similar.  Also, you could ask your dentist for a used dental pick.  They work well.
The handles have a spring-loaded pin that you have to depress.  Insert the tool in the slot in the handle with the point of the tool facing towards the handle, not the door, and push the point of the tool towards the handle.  Once you have the pin depressed, pull the handle off.  Like the previous poster said, once you have the knack, it's a piece of cake!
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

There is another problem here that can make these almost impossible to take off depending on the condition and storage of your car.  Like previously stated there is a little cylinder that needs to be depressed.  It is a little over 1/8 inch in diameter and back loaded with a spring.  If the handles got corroded for any reason the corrosion of the pot metal can seize the cylinder and it is almost impossible to move.  If the condition is very bad and the door panels are going to be replaced you can cut them away and get more room on the back side of the handle and use more force and stronger tools.  These cylinders are held in place by a slight bending of a pot metal tab.  I have not had to replate any of these but not sure what technique could be used.  The plating chemicals would not do nice thing to this tiny cylinder and spring.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Terry Wenger

Jon and Brad;

That type of handle fastening was used at least back to '32. I have had them replated and the plungers free up if stuck with some WD-40 or any penetrating oil after plating.

Terry
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

35-709

My experience has been the same as Terry Wenger's.  My handles have been rechromed, I filled the handle mounting holes in each with PB Blaster for a few days so the cylinder was immersed, most of them would then push in and pop out with no problem, a couple responded to a light tap with a small screwdriver blade and a hammer while being held in the rubber jaws of my vice.  They all work fine.  Next time (if there ever is one) I will inquire about the platers putting something in the handle hole/cavity to keep the chemicals out if possible.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jon Riley #13576

Thank you everyone for your replies.  We plan on purchasing the sears set and incorporating everyone's advice in order to remove the handles.

Thanks again.

Jon Riley