News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

FLOODS & 61 Jetaway Tranny Rubber Gasket and Neoprene F&R Bushes

Started by Caddy Daddy, January 19, 2011, 03:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Daddy

Hi everyone, well its just after the big flood here in Queensland, I was not affected, but I feel sorry for those that were, I am sure there will be a few less classics cruising the streets at the moment.

I am just wanting some info if any one can help me, I am after a rubber pan gasket for my 61's Jetaway Transmission if there is one available, or after many attempts, how do we stop it leaking, it has been rebuilt but my local mechanic and he just can't stop the leak, any ideas? The new cork one is just not enough.

Also I need to know do they make any Neoprene Bushes for the upper control arm and for the rear trailing arm?

Thanks in advance, Regards Milton Watkins
Milton Watkins

Coupe

If you cannot find a rubber gasket try glueing 2 cork gaskets together using either hi-tack or super glue for porous material. I've had success doing that with warped valve covers that did not want to seal.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Milton,

Good to hear that you are high and dry(ish).

If your Pan is leaking with the Cork Gasket, then it will most probably leak with any gasket.

Whenever I install a Transmission Gasket, I use Vaseline as the "sealant", and coat both sides of the gasket, and torque the bolts to the correct tension as per the Workshop Manual.   Well, actually by feel, but I can pretty well judge these things.

But, you have to make sure that the pan flange is perfectly flat, and if necessary, deftly make it flat with a hammer, (in the right place) to ensure complete contact.

Heavy-handed people can destroy the sealing properties of anything by doing up bolts too tight, and it doesn't take much to flatten out a Cork Gasket.

If the Neoprene Gaskets were better, then the Factory would have used them, but Cork has been used for many many years, with no problems.

The same goes for Rocker Cover and Sump Gaskets.   Some people swear by Neoprene Gaskets, but the factory always used cork.

It isn't hard to straighten a tin gasket-sealing surface.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   I think all the Bushes for the Control Arms are either Neoprene, or Rubber.   The major difference is that Rubber will dissolve in Petrol.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Caddy Daddy

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, I will try one of these methods and see how I go, and let you know if it stopped leaking, thanks again. Regards Milton
Milton Watkins