News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1938 -6127 coupe heater switch

Started by 1938CADI007, January 21, 2011, 05:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1938CADI007

i have 2 switches that i don't know what they are for. one is under the dash next to the clock reset knob. it is black and slides to 3 setting. the other switch is at the lower dash near the steering cloumn, it has the knob missing. any help will be appreciated.

Jim Richards
Jim Richards

Tom Beaver

The black slide switch next to the clock reset knob is the instrument light switch and turns illumination off/on to the instrument panel and clock.  If you have the service manual for the car the wiring diagram will show the wiring hook up for it.  If you don't have a service manual I would recommend getting one as there are reproductions available.  The switch to the left of the steering column would most likely be the heater blower control switch and is also shown on the wiring diagram.  Hope this helps.

Tom Beaver

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Jim,

On both my 37 LaSalle and my 38 65 Series, which I believe have dealer installed heaters, the switch is on the passenger side.

These units have a round knob, one way turns the heater on, the middle position is off, the other way is defrost. It is an interesting switch and hard to find. What the switch does is runs the fan motor in one direction for the heater then for defrost it reverses the fan direction. Usually the switch is color coded since it needs to be hooked up correctly to work.

But it does not sound like a my switch slides, but who knows what got installed?

the johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Douyg Houston

This is kind of screwy. My 38-60S has the heater control on the passenger side of the steering column. I once had a 38-60 coupe, and the heater switch was also on the passenger side: same heater.

However, one of the guys near here has a 38-60S, and the heater control is on the driver side of the column. It could never be on that side on my 60S; the cable wouldn't reach. Nor would it have reached on the coupe I had.

My friend with the 60S was in a quandary about it, but I just told him to re-install it where it had been and have it over with. Who's going to be in a position to question location? My own 38-60S has never been apart, so there's no questiion about location. But how were ALL of those cars made? Hmmmm?

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
I just looked at a number of Cadillac accessory bulletins dated Sept. 29,1937 for the 38 model year.
Bulletin # 9 states that the switch for Cadillac fog & adverse weather lights is located to the RH side of the column.
It also states the switch is similiar  to the heater switch.
Bulletin # 14 states that the heater switch is located under the left side of the dash.
It doesn't say anything about a reversing motor  for 38, but bulletin #36A dated Oct. 1,1938 for the 39 model year does. By the way they're touting it, I think that's the first year for it.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Bob,

That is great info on the heater switch. I wonder if it did start in 39? I believe in 40 it went away. Oh well more investigation required.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Johnny,
Thanks.  The reversing motor was used until 41 for sure. Same swicth with the paddle handle. I think 42's & later had the heater controls as part of the dash. Someone else may want to chime in.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.