News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1966 power servo's finish

Started by Greg McDonnell, January 23, 2011, 12:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg McDonnell

Yesterday I pulled the servo from my '66 Eldorado for refinishing.  Upon removing the black plastic cover, I began cleaning the vacuum canister with lacquer thinner.  I figured I'd probably remove some of the dull, gray paint the rebuilder had sprayed the unit with.  Indeed, that is what happened but I'm glad it did! I found the original golden cad (zinc dichromate) finish underneath (only where the plastic cap covered the top of the canister - the rest had worn off I guess due to the exposure to engine fumes, moisture, rust etc.)!  My question, of course, goes out to all who read this but specifically to owners of '66 models.  Does anyone have an original servo in their '66 (or know of someone who does) where the canister is plated in zinc dichromate?  I've found a few examples of low mileage, original '66 Eldos where this is the case.  I'm trying to find more as, if both finishes (zinc dichromate and silver cadmium plating) were, in fact, used, that would probably indicate there were two suppliers of these units to Cadillac.  Currently the CLC judging rules only accept the latter but I'm finding more examples of the former!  If I can unearth a few more, perhaps the rule can be revised to include zinc dichromate as one of the acceptable finishes.

Any help or input will be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Greg McDonnell  CLC #20841
Mobile, AL
'66 Eldorado (and others)

Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841