News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

My New 1960 Convertible!

Started by 76eldo, January 29, 2011, 09:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

Well, it's official.  I now own a very beautiful 1960 convertible.  My friend, and fellow Cadillac club member Don Magee passed away in December.  I always admired his two Cadillacs, the 1941 Sedan, and the 1960 Convertible.  I am assisting his wife in selling the 1941, currently on ebay, and I purchased the 1960.  Actually, I would really prefer it if Don was still with us and I was still just admiring his car.  Don was a good friend, and a real car guy.  I miss him a lot, and plan to maintain the car exactly as he did.

It's a beautiful, excellent running car, and needs nothing.  It's not loaded up with options, but it was ordered from the factory with the Q-code Eldorado engine, which is documented from Cadillac.  Paint, interior and chrome are beautiful, and it's fully detailed under the hood.

I am looking forward to driving the car, going to local shows, and participating in some club activities as soon as the weather breaks.

Here are a few photos:

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Barry Norman

Beautiful car, Brian ! Interested in hearing about the options !!
Barry Norman

Rich S

Congratulations, Brian! What an understated and elegant look! The colors are timeless classics and the condition looks superb! I'm glad to hear you are its new caretaker!  ;)
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

R Schroeder

Very sorry to hear about your friend Don.
I'm sure he will be watching over you while you enjoy that beautiful car.
He must have been very proud of it.
Roy

76eldo

Don loved his cars.

This one is more remarkable for the options it doesn't have.

No AC
No Cruise
No Sentinel
No Power Door Locks
No Power Vent Windows
No remote Trunk Opener or Pulldown

Has AM signal seeking radio, w/ power antenna
Q-Code Tr-Power Engine and the documentation from Cadillac for this.

Someone wanted to look cool, go fast, and not part with to much money when this car was ordered.

It can get by on it's looks for sure.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jeff Wilk

Great to see such a great car being kept "in the club" where we know it's pedigree will be maintained, as will the memory of those who cared for it.  ENJOY it....even sitting in the garage in the winter I know it looks fast....

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Bill Buckingham

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.  I'm sure he's happy knowing the car went to a good home.  Congrats on the purchase!  That's a great looking car.
Bill Buckingham
CLC # 1976
1957 Eldo Brougham
1958 Fleetwood 60S

Dino

NICE...   Welcome back to the world of 1960 Cadillac convertibles.. Congratulations and Good Luck with it..   Sorry to hear about your friend.                                                                                                                                               Dino

76eldo

Dino,

Can I buy my Eldo hubcaps back now?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dino

Brian.
Funny you should ask.  The set of caps I compiled including your cap are on my car to stay. However I have compiled a second set of (5) 1960 Eldorado hubcaps that I do plan on selling. They have already been sent to my stainless guy and have been straightened and polished. The black lines between the ribs need to be painted and the fins re-installed.                     Dino...

Terry Cox #26379

what  a very "stately" automobile ! very timeless colors. so elegant looking..maybe even more so 50 years on. Sorry about your friend though..but as mentioned.. another Cadillac saved from someone's idea of  possibly "putting my own touch to it" kind of idea. OHHHHH...just a side note...if it needed any more "touching idea's" added i'm sure Mr. Earl And Mr. Mitchell would have bought off on the final draft with a side note !! Terry Cox ...clc # 26379
   "a touch to customize is really just saying i'm actually going to use a TORCH !"  might as well.....same nightmare..i.m.h.o.....terry cox   clc # 26379 ;)

Chris Conklin

Condolences and congratulations at the same time. Beautiful car.

Brian, was it you selling that amazing Allante to make a purchase? And this is the purchase?
Chris Conklin

76eldo

Chris,

Yes, I sold my Allante.  I never thought I would do that, but I had to make a choice.  My other two cars are keepers, and they were not worth as much as the Allante.

If I didn't need the money and the space, there are a lot of cars I would still have.

Always wanted a restored '60 convertible, so now I have 3 keepers, and I guess I am done buying cars, at least for a while.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

76eldo

Gonna rain all day tomorrow, and we are getting another big snow in the middle of next week.

I don't want to get the car all dirty and full of salt, so it's sitting in the garage, but I can't wait for the next decent dry day!..

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

76eldo

Had the car out yesterday for a nice one hour run.  Wow does that car turn heads!
Runs great, but I want to see if the steering box can be adjusted a little tighter.  Lots of play in the steering, in my opinion.  What else is a common cause in a 1960?

Speedo cable doing a lot of bouncing.  I guess just a normal lube on that will help.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Brian,

I thought that you would realise that any Cadillac Convertible will "turn heads", but yes, the '60 will, and a lot of people appreciate the '60 better than the '59.

The '59, all people look at, or actually gawk at is the fins, whereas the '60 is such a smooth-flowing body that just reeks perfection (that is until the '71 and '72 Eldo Convertibles.

But, then I am biased.

The steering box looseness could be attributed to bearing wear, and or gear wear, or simply being out of adjustment.   Adjustment is easy, but if you look at the adjuster on the top of the box cover plate, and the thread is way down inside the lock nut, then it could be time for a replacement box, as there may be no adjustment left.   There should be no play when straight ahead, but play when on lock.   All similar-style boxes have this "feature".   Tighten it up when on full lock, and you will soon destroy the internal teeth of the Worm and Sector when trying to steer straight ahead.

Another cause of Steering play is worn tie rod joints, and loose Pitman Arm to Drag link coupling.

The Bouncing Speedo Cable will require undoing the Speedo Cable from the back of the speedo, and removing the inner cable and closely inspecting it for kinks and possible broken wires that could catch on the outer cable.

My '60 had the same problem with a replacement Speedo that I got out of a car that hadn't been used for a long time, and it turned out to be the odometer gearing within the speedo had run dry of lubricant, and being tight, the teeth were being worn away, and would cause the shaft to "jump" to the next tooth, as the cable turned the parts, and this resulted in eventually horrendous "needle bouncing"

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

EldoradoRedd1

Congrats!! That is a BEAUTY!! I jus love the lines on the 59-60 coupes
S.Rhame

Quentin Hall Australia

G'day Brian,
      Yes I have to agree the 60 conv series 62 is such a smooth, minimalist (for a Cadillac) design. I had a 59 Biarritz that was beautiful and turned a lot of heads, but the 60 I subsequently got when I sold the 59 also gave me alot of joy and dazzled many a passerby. After a while I grew to like the 60 styling more and more. I read that Dave Holls said "In 1960, we got it right" or words to that effect.
     I gave up the 60 to get another 53 Eldo project a few years back. I do miss the 60 smoothness nevertheless.
               Also check the rag joint on the column. There can be quite a bit of play there if it has let go.
     Good luck Q.