News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

2nd Battery Question on a 66 Series 75 Limo

Started by randys66caddy, January 29, 2011, 11:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randys66caddy

I'm wondering if one of you can answer a question for me about the purpose of the 2nd battery on a '66 Series 75...
I'm the 4th owner of the car and the 2nd battery was apparently removed by the 3rd owner. I have photos of it in place in the engine compartment but my mechanic is not sure why it was required..

Randy Harris
Langley B.C. Canada

1966 Fleetwood Series 75 Limousine

CLC Member 26438

Jim Sparrow

To my knowledge it wasn't required or installed at the factory. The other "battery tray", on the left side of the radiator (driver's side) is actually there for the photocell unit for the Guidematic automatic headlamp dimming option. Note the holes right there just above the left parking/turn signal assembly. The holes are there so the photocell unit can "see" the headlights of oncoming cars & switch your lights from high to low beam. HTH    -Jim

okccadman

That area was also used for a second battery on an ambulance.  The second or back up battery is still used on newer limos with high electrical demands.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham