News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1948 Sixty Special dash - painted or woodgrain?

Started by Steve Matthews #19505, January 30, 2011, 08:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Matthews #19505

Were the dash and window sills painted on the '48 Sixty Special or were they woodgrain like the other series?

Many thanks-

Steve Matthews

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Steve,

Neither. I believe it was called Leather Grain. I've heard there are decal reproduction services that can replicate any pattern at a "reasonable price" if you have a sample. You might investigate wood graining survives for a quote. I don't have experience with either.

HTH,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Jeff Maltby 4194

Black leather grained as per the 48-49 authenticity manuel. Here's my oem/virgin 49 wood grain dash, the finest in the world all these years later :<) . Click on pic's to enlarge and ignore the flash glares.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

P Tesone

Steve - Google " Hydro - dip " and see their web site . I had the dash of my 37 Caddy done by them and just put it back in place a couple of weeks ago . It looks great ! Unfortunately , I don't yet have photos to show you . The process, as best as I can explain it, involves taking a celluloid film of the design you want on your dash, and floating it on a water bath . A chemical is then applied to the film which apparently dissolves the celluloid leaving the photographic image floating on the water . The dash piece is then dipped into the tank and the image coats and adheres to the piece . The piece is then clear coated much like exterior automotive paint. It can be finished in a dull, satin or high gloss finish . I remember seeing a photo sample on their web site that had a leather grain to it . Speak to Scott . He bent over backwards to help me find the correct pattern and color . He can send you a sample once you pick a pattern . He also did woodgrain on my window surrounds . They also are beautiful . It's a family run business and they always seem to be working in the shop , so you might end up having to leave a message ; but Scott will get back to you . I found him to be very professional . Tell him I said to call and how pleased I am with his work . I'm sure he'll remember me, because I think I drove him crazy trying to get the correct wood grain . But the point is that he stuck with it until he got it right and I was satisfied . Good luck , Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500