News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What was an automatic battery filler?

Started by TJ Hopland, February 01, 2011, 11:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Looking at some earlier car literature I see mention of an optional automatic battery filler.    What was it and how did it work?  What it a popular option?

I deal with electric golf carts so I am familiar with the concept of having to fill batteries but never heard mention of an auto fill system.  I presume this was an option for high end cars so their owners did not have to 'get their hands dirty'?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Don Boshara #594

From the 1940 Accessory Data BooK:
"The Automatic Battery Filler consists of three small reservoirs filled with distilled water and mounted in a rattle-proof case on the engine side of the dash. Hoses connect each reservoir with the filler opening in each of the three battery cells."
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

CEC #20099

2/1 I wonder what the owners did in freezing weather, esp where the battery is located ?? Autolite offered a similar system.
c.chleboun #20099

The Tassie Devil(le)

It isn't hard to make one yourself, but these days of sealed and Maintenance-free ones, it isn't really worth it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

So what kept the cells from overflowing from all the vibration and rattling around?   What kept the acid from mixing with the water?  Is the acid mix just heavier?    Yes good question about freezing, ya wonder if they thought of that when they offered it or if that was an afterthought when the jars and lines failed?

Any idea how popular of an option this was and when it was offered?

On a Cadillac of the era was the battery the thing under the hood that needed the most attention?  How about if you were driving a Chev from the era?  Were there other things that needed more attention under the hood?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Alan CLC #1513

On my 1940 LaSalle, the battery is under the driver's side floor. I know that this was offered in 1940.
The plumbing for that must have been something to see!

Don Boshara #594

I suppose I should have added the following: "When the solution in any one cell becomes low, valves in the special filler cap automatically supply just the right amount of solution. Also when a Battery Filler is installed in cold weather, a small amount of battery acid should be put in the reservoirs to prevent freezing before the water has circulated through the battery." Price was $7.50 installed.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Folks,

In 1938, per the Acceleratror Magazine by Cadillac, the unit plus installation was $7.50 plus tax (in 1940 was still the same price). Seems a reasonable price today.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Jerry Puma

I entered $7.50 into the Google Inflation Calculator, and that amount translates to $113.50 in today's dollars!

Jerry
Jerry Puma
1964 Eldorado
1961 Series 62 6-window