News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac steering gear - 2 different ones used that year?

Started by carguyblack, February 01, 2011, 06:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carguyblack

Well, my simple solution to a leak has developed a life of it's own now. I bought a rebuilt steering gear only to find out there seems to have been 2 different ones produced that year for Cadillac.
My original casting number is 5683903 but the rebuilt I received has a casting of 5686752. My original (5683903) looks the same as the one in the service manual with an end cap and a control valve on the top. The rebuilt one has the same bolt-on pattern for attaching to the frame and the hydraulic hoses should connect fine, but the casting is more of a solid piece with no bolt-on end cap nor the valve control top piece. Would either of these steering gearboxes work fine with my car? Was one of these an engineering improvement made by GM halfway through the year? What would be the drawback of one over the other?
Help!!!! please.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Roger Zimmermann

Some pictures would be more effective to understand the differences....All the steering gears I had in repair (56, 57 and 58) had the same appearance. There were some internal changes and, on the 58 I did, the lower flange to the worm shaft was different, allowing water to enter the steering box.

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

carguyblack

Here's a few pics of the differences.
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE

carguyblack

Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE

Roger Zimmermann

Chuck, the nice gray one is not a Cadillac steering gear. I don't know on which make/model it was installed, but not on Cadillacs. It is a mix between the 56-58 Cadillac gear box and the 59-2050(?) steering gear, especially at the input shaft.

Roger
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

J. Gomez

Chuck,

Looking at the Master Part List the rebuilt one resembles the 1959-65 style.  ???

Again according to the book the 1956-1957-1958 are shown to be different units not sure on interchangeability between these units, the 1959-1965 share the same type.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Roger Zimmermann

Maybe it's an optical illusion: it seems that the grey unit is too short for a 59-65 gear box.
I remember that many years ago, I had too much play on the steering box from my '56 de Ville. A GM instructor suggested to install a later gear but it was not possible. Unfortunately, I don't remember why, it was maybe 25 years ago...It could be that it was too long.

Roger
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

carguyblack

The lengths of everything lines up between the 2 steering gears: the bolt pattern for mounting to the car, where the steering and pittman shafts come out... everything appears to be interchangeable. The real difference by looking at it seems to be the valve body on the top of the unit where the lines go in. I also notice the difference that Roger mentioned with the input shaft (steering). It seems to have a nipple sticking out the end that my original doesn't have. I think my existing lines would work as there would only be about an inch or two difference in distance.
However, I know nothing about the guts of this thing like: is it not heavy duty enough to handle six tons of Cadillac sitting on top of it, is the gear ratio different, will it play FM radio every time I turn to the left?? etc etc.
I was hoping someone would be able to tell me if those casting numbers were both engineered for the 56 Cadillac and why they are so different in appearance. Thanks for your input thus far!!!
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE

Roger Zimmermann

Chuck, check if you have space in the front! I believe it was my problem: everything lined up, but either the frame prevents the box to go forward enough to be installed or the linkage was in the way. You will discover it!
Sorry, I don't have casting numbers.

Roger
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

carguyblack

For anyone watching this post, the mystery has been solved. The gray rebuilt steering gear is from a 1959 Cadillac (casting number 5686752), not from 1956 (casting number 5683903) as the shop told me. The black one in the photos is the only one for the 1956 year and that is a "one year only" sweetheart. Thanks to all who have helped me through this!
Now, I'm off to get my correct unit rebuilt. Back to square one, as they say.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE