News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Clutch bolts/fasteners for my '40 series 50?

Started by Andrew Pullin, February 03, 2011, 02:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Pullin

Hey folks. So, the machine shop may have misplaced the bolts to hold the pressure plate onto the flywheel. It's somewhat my fault for dragging out this whole operation over such long period.
Any recommendations on what a suitable replacement bolt would be? I never saw the assembly myself, as the engine was frozen when I pulled it out, with the bellhousing still on it, so I've not got a mental picture to go on.
Since I wouldn't want the pressure plate bolts to shear off, I'm of course concerned enough to not just use hardware store bolts!
Should I just use whatever ARP fastener I can find with the matching thread and the right length?

I am having the engine balanced as part of the rebuild, and they say they are going to do the whole rotating assembly, with the pressure plate bolted to the flywheel, so I guess whatever I use should just balance out, and I can have them punch-mark the washers for the future?

I'm also a little concerned over the issue of the flywheel being indexed to the crank and then the pretty plate indexed to the flywheel; since I didn't see the assembly myself, I don't know if it's "obvious" or not.
Andrew Pullin
1940 La Salle Superior hearse
http://andrewpull.in/hearse/

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Andrew,

In all my experience of engines and the like, the Flywheels can only be installed in one spot on the Crankshaft.

What the manufacturers do this is offset at least one bolt hole, so that the unit has to be put on in that position.

With regards the Pressure Plate, using Grade 8 Bolts is sufficient, and any Industrial Supplier that sells fastenings will have what you want.

The Balancing Shop will mark the positions that the pieces need to be in as a matter of course.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

J. Friedman

Andrew,

These bolts are 5/16" x 18 threads per inch x 1 inch long.  While any Grade 8 bolt will work, it would be better that you buy a set of "clutch bolts", which I believe are weight balanced.  I use this type of bolt on my '49 Cad clutch.  

Most Cadillacs and LaSalles from the late 1930s, including your '40 Series 50, used a Long Manufacturing Co. clutch (almost identical to a Ford or Lincoln clutch).  You can buy a set of six clutch bolts for this type of clutch from several vendors.  One vendor which I found on the internet is www pitstopusa com.  Cost $7.18 plus shipping.  Their specs are "Mr. Gasket Bolts Pressure Plate Bolts 5/16"-18 x 1" w/lock washers" Their part number is SKU: MRG911.  Their description reads: "Engineered and manufactured for reliability, these alloy steel pressure plate bolts are heat treated to Grade 8 specifications for extra strength. Kits are complete with lock washers (where needed) and are black plated to help resist rust and corrosion. APPLICATION: Ford, (all Long-style), 5/16"-18 x 1", 6 per kit."    

Jay

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Jay,

On my 37 when I balanced the flywheel they recommended I install "shoulder bolts", which I believe are the same as you describe.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Andrew Pullin

Ah, thanks Jay & others. At some point I need to stop fretting over ever little bolt and washer and just slap this thing back together . :)

I was looking at ARP 105-2201 , which is their set of clutch bolts + washers for early Fords.
These ones: http://pitstopusa.com/i-5076843-arp-high-performance-pressure-plate-bolt-kit-ford-289-460-v8-1985-earlier.html

But I don't think they use lock washers, so I guess I'll get the Mr Gasket set. And those ones are $2 cheaper!
Andrew Pullin
1940 La Salle Superior hearse
http://andrewpull.in/hearse/