News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Steering Wheel Repair vs Recasting

Started by JConkwright, January 26, 2011, 01:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JConkwright

Hi. Now that I've got the steering wheel color (I'm sticking with all white) on my '58 resolved I'm trying to decide whether to repair or recast. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with wheels that have been repaired and painted rather than recasting? I've talked to almost every steering wheel restoration company out there. Most have no problem repairing the wheel but can't remove the chrome pieces that are set into the wheel on 57's and 58's. Mine need to be re-plated. I have found a few people that will remove the chrome pieces but they end up being about the same price as recasting. I spoke with J.B Donaldson and was impressed. My only problem with them is they can't re-grain the grips. I would assume this wears off over time so it might be best not to do it anyway. My main question...has anyone used JB Donaldson and for those that have only "repaired" their wheel how long has it lasted? I understand its a no-brainer to recast rather than repair if its the same price but I'm just looking for feedback on both.

Thanks,
James Conkwright
Founder Ky-Tn Region CLC
'58 Series 62 Conv.
Sabre Wheels, Gold Grill
Black, White Top, Black and White Trim #20 Interior

quadfins

I took one of my extra steering wheels to the local body shop. They filled the cracks - some were quite significant - and matched the paint perfectly. It looks great, even better than the one I sent to a steering wheel restoration place.

Now, the test will be how it holds up over time and changing seasons. So far, through winter cold temperatures in the garage, so good. I'll look forward to seeing how it holds up in the heat, though.

Presumably, the filler and paint would have to be heat and cold tolerant, just as it would on a car body, so I am hopeful...

You might want to check with a good body shop, and see what they think.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

The Tassie Devil(le)

I also had a Steering Wheel repaired and repainted, and the paint never showed signs of wearing off.

But having the chrome pieces rechromed and removing them without destroying the rest of the area, or damaging the retaining lugs in the removal process could be a problem.

In a worst-case scenario, you could have two wheels, and do what is necessary to remove the parts to be re-chromed, and chrome them, and with the other one, remove the chrome parts without wrecking the wheel material, and after filling and painting the good wheel, fit the re-chromed parts to that one.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

fnoti

I used Steering Wheel Bob to do my wheel.  He was great and some what reasonable.  Mine had around 30 cracks in it but now looks show room new.