News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1969 Cadillac Tires

Started by ILM69Cadillac, February 10, 2011, 12:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILM69Cadillac

I looked at many of the topics on tires but would like some advice, I have a 1969 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 75 Sedan and the old tires are splitting!! I don't know what tires to get since white stripe tires are getting harder to find, and the car is driven on the freeway at least once a week and it is such a heavy car!! The Bridgestones that I currently have are discontinued!!

What I have found

Kuhmo KR21
Load 2183XL

Firestone FR380
Load 2039

Cooper Trendsetter SE
Load 2028

Any suggestions? Thanks!
1969 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 75 Sedan, Black
Torin Kirkpatrick
Member# 21289

George D. Mukalian CLC # 10047

I have a 1969 Cadillac Convertible & had great success with Diamond back Tires. You can order any size you want & any size whitewall.The link to their website is below. You can go on their site and search all tires. Good Luck.

George

http://www.dbtires.com/
George D. Mukalian
CLC #10047

CaddyShackPA

I've had very good service from Cooper tires, on everything from small cars, to late-model Cadillacs, to our 4600lb 'minivan.' The idea of a classic Cadillac on Korean tires is stomach-churning... YMMV.
J. Papciak   #23864     
'59 Coupe DeVille
'69 Eldorado  
'72 Coupe DeVille  
'77 Seville
‘81 Fleetwood Brougham  
‘89 Brougham 
'92 Sedan DeVille  
‘95 Fleetwood  
'02 STS   '10 CTS-V   ‘17 CTS

dadscad

I had to replace a pair of tires on my 63 CDV last summer. The dealer found a pair of Hankook tires that had similar white wall stripes to the GoodYear Regattas that were on the car. I've put about 6K miles on them, so far so good. The Hankook tread face is smaller than the GoodYear, that hasn't been an issue. I put the new tires on the front and have two GoodYear Regattas on the rear. The Hankooks steer and handle well on the car.

HTH,
David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

TJ Hopland

I have 380's on a car and they seem alright.  Its also the only 'big brand' tire that you are likely to find in stock (at least at the regional distribution center) with a white wall in a 75 series.

I was looking at DB's and Cookers but I dont care about the authenticity enough to pay that much more. 

Dont rule out the 'store' brands, since there is only a few places in the world that make tires anyway you may end up with the same tire only it has a different name and cost less.   In the fall I got a set for my 80 Eldo from my local Farm and Fleet for $250 installed, disposed, and taxed.  They have a white wall and are made by one of the smaller big names, i think it was Kelly or maybe Cooper.  The 380's were $360 and in town.  Everything else would have been a few days and at least that much money.   Lately I have not had the best luck with the big names and you do pay for them.  In my case the quality did not seem to be there and there was zero support from the dealer or direct from corporate.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

ILM69Cadillac

LOL I understand but I think I am going to try the Kumho tires due to the fact they have an XL load rating and plus it can always be replaced!! I am  trying to find an affordable tire and a safe tire although I kinda wanted the Firestone but the tire shop I use said they would feel safer ordering the Kumho XL's than using a non XL tire since the car weighs almost 3 tons!
1969 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 75 Sedan, Black
Torin Kirkpatrick
Member# 21289

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Hi,
I had a set of Kumho tires on a 1977 Fleetwood, I got them for free at Firestone since I put a used set of those Explorer tires on that were recalled, the Kumho were made for a light truck and had raised white lettering, even when they were new I always felt like I was hydro planing anytime I'd drive in rain, I never felt at ease, I didn't put a whole lot of miles on them and they dry rotted and cracked badly, I ended up just putting them on a car I junk to have something on it,
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

Herb

I've had the Firestone fr380's on my 75 Eldorado for about 5 yeaars and have had zero trouble with them. They ride and handle well and are wearing extremely well. Just a caveat- When you get new tires, Make sure that you read the sidewall to make sure that you get freshly made tires. Herb #21704