News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1949 Cadillac fresh air duct hose

Started by 1949, February 11, 2011, 08:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

After 35 years of ownership, my '49 is in need of new fresh air duct hoses - the cloth covering is torn and in some spots only the wire is left.
Has anyone used the duct hose offered by McVey's ?
Thank for ANY help on this. Michael Lynch
.....and YES, I am finally going to be able to drive this again after 3 years of engine and transmisiion rebuilding!!
MICHAEL LYNCH
Wisconsin

Jeff Maltby 4194

Mike. It's been a long time since we've chatted. Good to see you back. All the replacements I've seen are cheap/droopy looking compared to oem but I've never seen McVeys product.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Caddy Wizard

I am using hose from a woodworking store, the type of hose they sell to hook up vacuum dust collectors.  It looks okay and has sufficient stiffness to not droop all over the place.  Inside diameter is good.  Outside diameter is a tad large (making it a little tough to stuff it inside the inner fender passages).  Fairly reasonable price.  I think I got mine at Rockler...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

THANKS GUYS - ALL I CAN FIND ON THE ROCKLER SITE IS CLEAR[ DUST HOSE (ALTHOUGH IT IS WIRE REINFORCED).
MICHAEL LYNCH
Wisconsin

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Yes, I used it on my 53 from McVey's. Excellent product, but expensive. (I forget the price). However, it's been on the car since 2002, with no sign of deteriation so far.

Paul
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's one off my FB. It's in incredible shape all these years later with oem undercoating splattered on the underside as shown.

Pauls looks like a perfect replacement from McVeys in his picture.

Click on pic to enlarge.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Whit Otis, 1188

This my third post re this issue.  I have cut and pasted my most recent.

See thread on "Flexible Ductwork for 1955 Caddy"  for info.  As I mentioned on that thread, a product called "Flexaust" will do the job just fine.  It is a rubbery looking material with a spiral helix in it.  It comes in many sizes and I would bet that most suppliers of this, including McVey's and others buy it from them.  Go to flexaust.com, and look at the product called flexaust and flexadux.  They make it in diameters from 2" to 24".  They have tons of other "hose" products, but I believe the flexaust is the one you need.  However, you can call them with critical info such as diameter, distance between the wire helix sprial, type of material, etc.  Also, ask if they have a dealer or distributor near you.  You might save yourself some money.  Someone else posted that they thought this product was available from McMaster Carr.

Whit Otis
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger