News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Question on Build date MO / YR on the Build sheet from Cadillac

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, February 11, 2011, 11:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
   I have a 1957 cadillac . I sent away for the build sheet on the car about 4 years ago thru the Cadillac LaSalle club forum . It is filled with valuable information on my car .  This is my question .  I just ordered a period correct battery for my car and they asked me for the build date on my car . The build sheet is very clear with Mo ( meaning Month ) and  Yr ( meaning year )     my sheet says    MO  5   and  Yr    6    To me this means   May of 1956  he told me that the date sounds to early for my 1957 car . The serial number on my car is 5762085964    Now i am not sure if i am reading the build sheet correctly . The gentleman that questioned me is a very knolageable person .  any thoughts on this ?

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

bill refakis

that would be may 6,1957 no 57 eldos were built in may of 56

Bill Balkie 24172

Bill ,
That  makes more sense to me , but why does the build sheet read   Mo / YR    why not     Mo /  d    i am sure there  must be is some sort of reason for this .   I have included a picture .

Thanks Again bill,
         Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Roger Zimmermann

The form was probably very old and not modified. I have the same arrangment for my '56 de Ville: Month = 2 Year = 29. Obviously, the car was assembled on Februar 29, 1956 (Yes, February 1956 had 29 days!). Sometimes you have to read between the lines!

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
   This is directed to the CLC  member that wrote a letter to the administrator  , stating i was making my key code  public for the whole world to see .  You have no idea what you are talking about .    My key codes were not exposed in the picture that i listed in the first string of this post .  My cars information is several lines below the first two .     No one could possibly  tie those  first two key codes into any other car .    I just wanted to have someone clear up the Month and Day . It sure looks like it says Month and year .  Now if you can answer that question, you can help me out !

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Refakis

funny never looked at this before,on my 59 built jan 8 1959 build record showns mo/yr as  mo  1 and year 08,no clue how or why they did this,as build records on later ones mid 60's to 70 show date build as month and date,my 70 last production convert was built 6/30 on build record,door sticker had it as july production!

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Since the question of key codes has come up in this I will add my opinion.  I think the latest where Cadillac is blanking out the key code on build sheets only makes for trouble for the owner.  Can you imagine any crook even bothering to take the time to cut a key to code even if he knew the code.  These cars can be hot wired faster than you can say it.  Just look at modern cars.  Thiefs don't steal a car by getting the key.   
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Bill Balkie 24172

The Build Sheet is so complete it even tells you What make  tires  your car was ordered with ,to what state it was shipped  too .   also if it had a front license Plate Bracket.  But there still is confusion on the build date issue . How many years did they use this form ?  Bill Refakas a few threads back says his 59 is the same way . My sheet says it was revised 11 / 56 . It is hard to believe the form had a print mistake on it  for  atliest  3 years .   Another CLC Club Member has on his build sheet ,in hand writing from the Heritage people  that it means  Month and week it was built . that can't be right because  my sheet says   Mo  5   yr  6   meaning  May    /    6th week .   Very very strange . All indicators point to Month and Date .
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Chris Conklin

Quote from: Bill Balkie 24172 on February 14, 2011, 04:24:44 AM
Another CLC Club Member has on his build sheet ,in hand writing from the Heritage people  that it means  Month and week it was built .

The month and week code was on the cowl tags. But I believe that practice didn't start until the '60s. The "Cars Built" sheet is also MO/DAY for my '66.
Chris Conklin

Tito Sobrinho

Very interesting question and follow-up answers.
My car was delivered to Cincinnati, Ohio...December 16,1948 with a FW #771. I would like to know how can I get the Build Sheet for my car?
Thanks in advance
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Tito ,  Go to the home page of the CLC . on the left hand side you will find a menu . Look for (Authenticate Your  car)  click on the site and it will walk you thru the steps . I think they charge  is a 50.00 fee . That is how i acquired the one for my car , along with a lot of valuble information . 
Quote from: Tito Sobrinho on February 14, 2011, 07:49:40 PM
Very interesting question and follow-up answers.
My car was delivered to Cincinnati, Ohio...December 16,1948 with a FW #771. I would like to know how can I get the Build Sheet for my car?
Thanks in advance
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Tito Sobrinho

Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.