News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Follow up to John Washburn's Article in February Self-Starter

Started by markl, February 11, 2011, 05:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markl

For those that read John's article and are thinking of using the clutch set up he advocated, I have a little more information to add.  My local NAPA source (Contra Costa Auto Parts Co., INC.) was able to order the Cover Assembly (pressure plate), P/N CA7350 w/o ordering the entire New Clutch Pack.  List, $138.86, my cost, $83.32.  The Clutch Disc, P/N RCF331 was also available at a list price of $142.23, my cost $85.34.  I did not get as lucky  as John in that the disc is clearly rebuilt, and just a little bit troubling, the rebuilding was apparently done in China.  As w/ all rebuilt products from NAPA, they back them w/ a full replacement warrantee, but of course, this is the clutch disc and getting a new one for free would be very little solace if the thing flew apart in short order.  If there was an outfit nearby that relined clutch disc's, and if I had a core to provide them, that would be my preference.  Unfortunately, the place I used to rely on, Friction Materials of Oakland, went out of business years ago.

So next step, get the bolts that were mentioned in the response to Andrew Pullin's post and send the whole works out to be balanced.

Thanks again to John Washburn for his interesting and inspiring article.

Mark Lowery, CLC#25216

38FLATTIE

Mark,

While I agree a new clutch disc would be optimal, rebuilt clutch discs have been used successfully for years. John's method is an inexpensive fix, with parts that are available at most parts stores.

Of course, the China part is a bit troubling!
BUDDY WALKER
38 LASALLE COUPE
THE FLATCAD

Jay Friedman

There is a firm which advertises in Hemmings Motor News, www fortwayneclutch com that they supply re-manufactured clutches.  Might be worth giving them a try.

Jay Friedman
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Seattle has a place with a branch in Everett that will do clutches and pressure plates.  I would think any big city would still have such a place.  They are mainly doing truck work I believe so check for ads and searches for that market.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Classic

I'm from Fort Wayne and can highly recommend Fort Wayne Clutch for your clutch, u-joint and driveshaft needs.

Gene
Gene Menne
CLC #474

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Folks,

The reason I recommend a new disk is because I have had problems with the rebuilders balancing the plate and the clutch correctly. Plus the new ones seem to be much better engineered.

But that is my opinion.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Mike Simmons 938

Mark- A local rebuilder using older materials is Jeff Adkins of Moose Motors, formerly of Berkeley, and now in Penngrove. . He specializes in restoring Packards, but does  clutches and brakes for Cads, among many others. You can reach him at (707) 792-9985. He still has a large stock of parts from his old business.
Mike Simmons 938