News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1961 Cadillac "Jacqueline" sold by Bonham's in Paris

Started by veesixteen, February 11, 2011, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veesixteen

One of this year's attractions at the annual "Rétromobile" show in Paris was the auction sale of classic cars by Bonham's of London.  The venue was the Grand Palais,  which, for many years, was the site of the annual Paris Auto Salon.  One of the star attractions was the 1961 Cadillac "Jacqueline" (named after Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy, wife of President John F. Kennedy).

That "car" started life as an engineless "pushmobile" designed by Italy's Pininfarina, although it was regularly touted [NOT by me] to have been built on one of 99 Eldorado Brougham chassis for 1959; it even carries a "fake" body tag with lookalike 1959 Eldorado Brougham "Style" and "Body" numbers.

In 1996, in Florida, it was mounted at considerable effort and expense on a used 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz chassis powered by an equally used 1959 325HP Cadillac motor (not even the 345HP "Q" engine that was standard on the Eldorados).

Long story short, "Jacqueline" is reported to have been sold for almost 213,000 Euros (circa $289K) to someone who obviously didn't care HOW "she" was built or misrepresented.

Remember the "grief" I was caused a few years back, by club members who took me to task for (allegedly)  printing false information in the Club's Cadillac Database when, in fact, I had simply mentioned  verbally to a "know-it-all" classic car expert - back in the early 80s, i.e. 15 years before the Database went online - that the 1937 V16 roadster by Hartmann had been commissioned by Simon Patinõ. 

They will be glad to know I have stepped down as "keeper" of the Database and (alleged) purveyor of false info. 
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Chris Cummings

Yann,

Thank you very much for the inestimable hours you have devoted to the Database project.  The help you have provided to Cadillac owners, restorers and aficionados is incalculable.  Thank you also for suffering the misguided and misbegotten insults.  Those of us who know the value of what you have undertaken, and how heavily we are indebted to you will always be grateful, even if you don't always hear about it.  I for one have learned an enormous amount, have made many new friends, and have been able to help many people by means of the Database and the organized, intelligible and constantly updated information in it.  And on top of it all, it's fun just to browse the site and see new and entertaining people, things and facts I never imagined.

God bless and thanks again,

Chris Cummings

veesixteen

Chris, you are too kind. BTW, I am not "completely retired". I shall continue (in the wings) to try to expand and improve on the DB, until my number is up. Do keep me informed of any new V16 discoveries.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Duncan Fox

Yann,

Remember me ? 59 Biarritz and Seville in New Zealand. I want to make contact privately with you and Chris. I have a V16 4361S survivor I want to purchase. The car has been in Sth E Asia since before WW2. Wanna Know more? I know you do

How do we make contact?
1930 V16 roadster
2005 CTSV