News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

51 Cadillac Convertible Quarter Windows

Started by don pike, February 12, 2011, 02:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don pike

Can anyone verify that a '52 Two Door Hardtop has the same rear quarter windows as a '51 Convertible?? I need a set and I was thinking that 50-53 Cad and Buick, Two Door Hardtop and Convertibles are all the same. I have located a set of 52 Two Door Hardtop units. Thank you so much for your help

Don Boshara #594

According to the Cadillac parts book the hardtop & convertible quarter windows have different numbers for the frames & glass, although 51 & 52 models are the same. 53s are by themselves.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

Quentin Hall Australia

I have a 53 series 62 Conv and it came with a bunch of spares including nice coupe rear windows. I was about to throw away the coupe ones so I compared them to the pitted conv ones.
   It is my belief that you could cut coupe rear window diecast frames down to suit the conv, as there seems to be no difference in the casting other than the extended length on coupe frames. There is a small steel bracket that you may have to fabricate for the window track slider (simple) and you will also need to recontour the upper  U channel carefully in a vice, but I have done both. Obviously the glass is also different on the coupe to conv. 
   Try finding original conv rear windows ; I have maybe seen one pair in 3 years. But coupe ones come on ebay quite often. Actually a pair off a Buick on there now.
    Regards. Q   

Quentin Hall Australia

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

"Q", with all due respect to you Aussie craftsmen, there's a LOT of differences between cpe. & conv. windows. Not the least of which is the way they go down & up. I think the price that guys asking is not only fair but cheap if the workmanship is as good as he claims.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Quentin Hall Australia

G'day Bob, Haven't you heard the stories of wheel bearings carved of mulgar wood and lubed with soap and structural chassis repairs made from fencing wire and tree branches??? Well perhaps it is that we Aussies have to be ever resourceful due to our isolation, but I still stand by my call that you can convert a coupe window to a conv with "relative" ease.
       I am not in Brisbane at present otherwise I'd post a pic of the one I converted. I'll admit you would probably need a genuine window nearby to compare and cut in the right spot. Luckily I had both to compare.
    There is no difference in the early 50's coupe/conv operating mechanism or ram other than the length of the window and that goes for the Eldo as well. Eldo is just placed lower in the body. I admit the coupe guide track is different but even these can be cut and shut with a bit of due care. I used coupe tracks to repair one of my Eldos . Now 53 Eldo door windows are a different story. But even the Eldo door mechs can be cut and shut from standard.   
     Your probably right that the ebay windows are valued right / ie  what it would cost to restore them to that level and compared to the $4800 53 Eldo ones on ebay last week, are a positive bargain. . . . but as I said if you were stuck, with only coupe ones and $hort a grand . . . then I'd grab the hacksaw. . . .and a beer. Maybe the beer, then the hacksaw. Q
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/documentaries/stories/s359476.htm