News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

pistons, cams , lifters

Started by murray mules, February 12, 2011, 07:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murray mules

hello out there - i am rebuilding my 69 caddy 472 engine

can anybody tell me are the EGGE brand of pistons OK? (cast ones )

and i am thinking  of using a no.3 mild cam from maximum torque specialities - to increase bottom end torque at the expense of top end - has anyone heard are their cams ok quality wise and will it work ok over the stock cam?

are the erson brand of lifters ok?

is it wise to remove the pressed in oil gallery plugs for cleaning ? will new ones press in ok ? - i have removed the screw plugs - is that good enough?

thankyou

TJ Hopland

MTS is a good place with good guys and good stuff, they are doing a lot to keep these motors going.  With many parts they have range from good 'import' quality to crazy high performance.  I went with the #5 cam.  No starting or idle issues.  I dont remember for sure but I think to be safe I had the shop take a bit of the valve guides.  This may have also had something to do with changing to a more typical seal style vs. the original cad design.  I dont remember the details but MTS told me how much to have the shop take off and they did not even blink when I told them to do it.   The guys at MTS can hook you up with all the parts you will need including those little things like all those plugs.   They also know their stuff so its worth a phone call to tell them what your plans are, they can tell you which things lead to other things and such.  Things like a bolt and washer for the front of the crank and a stainless hardware kit are handy things to have.  Be sure to get a cloyes timing set, there have been issues with some of the crank sprockets shattering.  There have also been issues with the new Meling oil pumps, MTS checks and tests the ones they sell.  I did not buy my first one from them but bought my 2nd from them along with a new set of bearings after the off the shelf new one failed at about 1000 miles.  I get all my Cad engine parts from them now even if I can get them for similar cost from other sources just to keep them going and making or improving parts for these engines.

If you are doing a complete rebuild you would want to remove all those plugs to be sure its clean.  If you are just replacing the cam then I may not bother with those valley plugs.  I have not really heard of issues with them coming out.  The really high performance guys tap them for threaded plugs.  Are these the plugs you are wondering about?

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

murray mules

hello - are you talking about the cloyes roller timing set??- they only sell a single row one - is it strong enough? and are you saying that the standard gears tend to shatter? also i am degating as to use the EGGE pistons @9.8 to 1 or selaed power @10.5 to 1 - will the higher comp run ok on premuim 98 octane fuel? thanks - murray mules

TJ Hopland

They never made a dual roller set for the caddy, not sure why, perhaps a space issue?    Cloyes / MTS has 3 options for timing sets and they are all fine.    The lowest price one is the stock link belt type and should be fine for a stockish engine thats going back into a caddy that is going to for the most part be driven like a Caddy.   They then have 2 models of roller sets.  I think the sprockets are the same in both sets but one has a imported chain (but still good quality) and the other has (higher priced) has a American chain.   I dont remember which is which but one had more rectangular end links and the other had the more traditional figure 8 looking end links.  All 3 are said to be good quality parts, the biggest difference is the stock type one does not give you alternate timing options, the roller ones have multiple slots for alternate timing.   Its possible that there are no longer 2 options in the roller and that it was a production change thing so one of them was 'old stock'.   I originally got a roller but had an oil pump problem that stressed everything including the keyway of the crank sprocket so I decided to replace it when I had the motor apart the second time and accidentally ordered the stock type but decided to use it because it looked like a quality piece.   It was the run of the mill parts store replacement sets that cost around $30 where the crank gears would often shatter when you tried to install them or in several cases I have read about and seen photos of shattered after a few thousand miles in the engine.   My guess is the issue is not real good tolerances on the bore size and then poor steel and treating.

This is the sprocket from the roller version, you can see the 3 key slots for alternate timing.   I dont know if it would have helped in this case or not since there was another problem causing the stress but on these Caddys the 'crank hub' is just pressed on and I think in my case because of the stress it had worked it out slightly and that may be what wore the keyway.  When I ordered my replacement parts I ordered a bolt and washer to make sure that hub was not going to move again and would hold the sprocket tight.  Its also nice to have that bolt there so you can turn the engine over with a wrench when you need to move it.   The threaded hole is there but the factory just shipped the engines with a cork in there to keep the threads clean.   MTS stocks a bolt and washer so you dont have to go searching for the correct sizes locally.

I think this was the 'American' one.

As for the compression questions,  if you have the original heads yours would be what we now call the 'small chamber 76cc'.   Originally you would have been in that 10-10.5 range for compression.   My guess is you would not notice any performance loss going to that 9.8 combo and perhaps that will give you a little margin for poor quality gas.   If the engine is apart look at the casting numbers in the heads to verify that you have the small chamber heads, over the years things could have been swapped around.  The number is on the top side (under the valve cover) in the center cast into the smog rail that runs the long way across the head.    Ending in 250 and 902 are the small chamber ones 493 and 552 were large.  I think there was a 950? also that was small chamber with no smog rail that was used in 1970 only. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

murray mules

hello - is the standard cloyes ( non - roller)  crank sprocket  ok quality wise??

TJ Hopland

Have never heard of any quality issues with any of the Cloyes sets.   I am currently running one of their standard stock type chains in mine.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV