News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac Historians’ Hall of Fame

Started by Gergely Szentmartony 25603, February 13, 2011, 08:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gergely Szentmartony 25603

There are so many people who have spared no effort to examine and write about Cadillac history. We should be very proud of these people.

It would be nice to prepare a list of people like that.

I have made a really short list (please see below). However, I know very well that there are a lot of other very important Cadillac historians I did not mention - only because I do not know them. Therefore, please complete this list copying the previous one and adding your delegate. Please also name the reason why you think she/he must be a member of Cadillac Historians’ Hall of Fame.
Please do not nominate yourself for this virtual award. Wait for others to do it.

My short list in (Surname) alphabetical order:

Charles D. Barnette â€" Incredibly interesting stories about Cadillac on cadillaclasalleclub.org

Angelo Van Bogart â€" 100 Years of Innovation (book)

John Gunnell â€" Standard Catalog of Cadillac (book)

Maurice D. Hendry - Cadillac at 100: Legacy of Leadership 1902 â€" 2006 (book)

Agnes C. Laut â€" writer of book titled „Cadillac” (book)

Mrs. Wilfrid C. Leland - "Master of Precision" (book)

Robert Maidment - Cadillac Owners Club GB magazine editor (book and magazine)

Walter M.P. McCall â€" 80 years of Cadillac LaSalle (book)

Yann Saunders â€" Cadillac Database (http://www.cadillacdatabase.org) (internet database)
"Brougham - For all the reasons you have ever wanted a Cadillac"

www.cadillaclasalle.hu

Terry Wenger

Roy A Schneider - "Sixteen Cylinder Motorcars", "Cadillacs of the Forties", "Guide to the1950 Through 1959 Cadillac". "Cadillacs of the Sixties "  books.

Ron Van Gelderen and Matt Larson,  " LaSalle, Cadillac's Companion Car"  - Book

Robert Mellin   History of the 1934-1937 Cadillac V16, Self-Starter Article.

James J. Schild  "Fleetwood, The company & the Coachcraft"  Book.

Terry Wenger

Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

veesixteen

Gergely, you flatter me.  Please remember that the “Cadillac Database” is essentially a compilation of research into Cadillac and LaSalle history, styling and production that was done by other, far more competent historians than me. I merely compiled the “Database” in order to group together all that research for ease of access; I  tried for the last 14 years to keep it interesting and up-to-date. Now JC Franchitti has taken my place.

Among Cadillac-LaSalle historians let’s not forget, in particular: Phil Dumka (early Cadillacs), Carl Steig (V16 and V12 models) and Cy Strickler III (Eldorado Brougham), Ron Van Gelderen (all Cadillacs).

Other names that come to mind, without whose help there would be NO “Cadillac Database”, are (alphabetically):  Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA), Auto Passion [France], Gene Babow (photos), Jim Butler (photos), Cadillac Division of General Motors [PR Division], Cadillac Mailing List [the CML by Rik Gruwez], John Conde, d'Arcy-MacManus & Masius Advertising, the Detroit Public Library - National Automotive History Collection [NAHC], Alain Dolfuss, Allan Dowling, Free Library of Philadelphia, Lillian Gottschalk, Ron Grantz,  Dave Holls, Floyd Joliet, Charles "Chuck" Jordan, Beverly Rae Kimes, Larry Kinsel, William J. "Bill" Knight, James C. Leake, Alan Merkel, the Milestone Car Society, Walter Miller (Cadillac merchandising literature),  Old Cars Weekly, Pininfarina Organization, the late Serge Pozzoli, Katie and Jim Robbins, John Robertson of GM Media Archives, François Roux, Jean-Michel Roux, Peter Stengel, Brooks Stevens Associates, Jack & Marilyn Tallman, La Rue Thomas and his daughter Vicky Lee, Dave Towell, Robert N. Tuthill, V8 Magazine [France], Patrick Van der Stricht, Richard Veen, (La) Vie de l'Automobile, Z. Taylor Vinson, Frans Vrijaldenhoven, Bob Waldock, Craig Watrous.

For other important names and references that have served our hobby, please check out: www.Cadillacdatabase.org/Dbas_txt/BIBLIOG.HTM and
www.Cadillacdatabase.org//Dbas_txt/BOOKS.HTM
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Terry Wenger

How about all those in the "Founders Tribute" by founder Norm Uhlir on August 2002 for the 100th Anniversary of the Cadillac Motor Car Co.?

Terry Wenger

Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

C.R. Patton II #23147

The conversation of the hall of fame of Cadillac LaSalle icons should not be subjective. An option for our club could be to have an election by the membership to determine who THEY believe are the most significant contributors to our "Standard of the World". Personally I would start with Matt Larson and Doug Houston! My bias would be overruled by democracy.