News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Shifting Lever

Started by Rick Biarritz, February 13, 2011, 02:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

83 Eldo with 96,000 miles...

Hey, Boys.  It's been a while, huh?  My Edlo's been running like a champ all winter.  Pretty sure she's going in for paint in 13 months if she continues to work for me.  In the meantime....  Working the shift lever requires some searching around when going to drive or reverse.  I hear this is (a) common, and (b) easy and/or cheap to fix.  What's your take? 

TJ Hopland

Im fairly new to that body style but the earlier ones did have wear issues in the crank arm that changes the direction of the rod from the column to the transmission.  They had slight variations of the assembly over the years and they all seemed to eventually have issues.  I have repaired mine by buying a door hinge bushing kit and then modifying the bushings to fit the crank assembly.    Later today I will be out doing some other work under the hood of my 80 and will take a look and see how likely the same issue is on this vintage.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

Had a look at mine but forgot to take a picture.  On the 79-85 its a lot easier to see than a 71-78 and it looks like the angles may be a bit better.    You can see it all sort of below the brake booster and master cylinder.   If the 4100 is the same as the Olds then there is a pretty decent sized bracket from the back of the engine to one of the exhaust manifold bolts that has the crank shaft on it.  There is then the rod from the steering column and the rod down to the transmission.   I would say for starters have someone sit in the car with the key in and foot on the brake (just in case) and then have them wiggle the shifter while you are looking down at that linkage.  This may work better if you put it in a gear other than park or L1 so you know you are not running into a physical stop. You should be able to see where the slop is.  There are several junctions and pivots and fasteners that could be worn or loose.  The size of the rods and such look similar to the earlier style so if it is the crank that has worn the door hinge bushings may be a good start. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason