News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

distributor hold down bolt

Started by Terry Cox #26379, February 14, 2011, 11:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Cox #26379

i tried loosening the distributor hold down bolt on my 73 eldorado, but the wrench will not fit on the bolthead do a clearance issue of the bolt head and the shaft of the distributor. i've tried 6 /12 point end sockets /wrenches/ crowfoots/ swivels/deep wells. i am now to the point of belief that the only cure may be the old "smokewrench". (just kidding on the latter). any help....???? terry cox ..#26379 ??? >:(

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I used to have a 1969 DeVille which was almost the same engine. I used to use a distributor wrench which is basically a box wrench bent at a 90 degree angle.

I think mine is an SK. You can buy this at any good parts store.

Glen

I’ve been able to get that nut with a short socket with a universal joint then an extension. It’s a little wobbly but it works on my 68-ELDO. 

Glen

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I have a '73 Eldorado as well.  It's best to get that distributor wrench that the
previous poster recommended with the 90 degree bend.  I've used one for
years.

Trying any other type of socket arrangement will just round off the nut since
where it's located is almost impossible to reach with a straight socket or swivel.
You'll be hitting the bolt top on an angle -- not good.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Glen

Sorry to disagree Mike but after 35 years working on my 68-ELDO I have not had any problem with rounding off the nut with the socket.  You do have to be sure it is seated on the nut so it is not at an angle, but that should be standard procedure. 

The distributor wrench (shown below) works but will only turn a small arc before it hits things nearby.  They work much better on less crowed engines.  They are cheap but if you don’t have one it is a bother to have to go get one. 

I do not recommend a crows foot. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

TJ Hopland

With the AC in place there really does not seem to be a perfect tool, without the AC there is plenty of room for just about any sort of wrench.  If you have one that is really stuck or damaged I would suggest removing the AC compressor to get better access, you dont have to remove the hoses, you can just unbolt it and move it far enough to the side to give you room.

I have had the best luck with a 'wobble extension'.  The wobble works great with the points dizzy and still seems to be the best option for a HEI even though its still not an ideal angle.

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

I'll join the short socket, universal joint, short extension crowd.  There are a lot of ways to get to and loosen/tighten this nut, but when the motor is hot I personally want to keep a few inches of distance during this proceedure, and the socket works best.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Sorry to disagree Mike but after 35 years working on my 68-ELDO I have not had any problem with rounding off the nut with the socket.  You do have to be sure it is seated on the nut so it is not at an angle, but that should be standard procedure.  

Glen:

Got you beat -- I've worked on my '73 for 38 years.  I bought it new.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

In the true spirit of one upsmanship, I bought my 72 Eldo new in November 1971.  That's 39 years of adjusting the distributor amung other things.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-