News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

My 59 CDV got selected for the 100th Anniversary at Indy - now what?

Started by dcastine, February 17, 2011, 06:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcastine

I'm very excited that they chose my car to be one of the 250 cars to be shown at the upcoming show at the speedway, I have a 22' enclosed trailer, and yesterday my truck dies...(!@#$%!)

Is anyone from the New England area taking a car out and have space for one more 18-1/2 long car? (LOL...)

Do any of the rental companies rent vehicles that are built for towing? (Tahoe, F-series, etc.)

I can't believe this...

Dave Castine
1959 Coupe deVille
Wakefield, MA
Dave Castine ~ 59 Coupe deVille

James Green

A 1959 Cadillac is basically a modern car.  It will cruise at 70 mph all day long effortlessly.  Why not drive it?  

dcastine

Yeah think?

It does only have 57k miles on it, runs nice enough...

I don't know - I've never "trusted" any of my old cars to go that far, although the thought of driving it 2,000 miles out and back does make me smile. This car hasn't seen rain in about 20 years, it would need some prep before I made that trip - it's only been driven about 75 miles since 1998.

Hmmmmm.... you got me thinking.

Thanks
Dave C

Jeff Wilk

Not to be the wet blanket here.........but............I'd be certain to have a chase car with me if I were to drive it that far after only 75 miles on it in the last 25 years.  My 59 sat for about 20 years in the garage as well and got a little less miles than that on it in that time......NO MILES  ;)............got it started back up in late 2009 with some great new friends from the Raritan River Region here in NJ (plug plug plug) and all was GGGRRRRRREEEEEAAAATTTTTT........for about 400 miles of driving in the following year.  Then slow leaks started coming from the front, middle, back, left, right, top.....and everywhere else..........no problems starting or driving at all.......just seems that the gaskets had dried out, sealed themselves with......whatever they do.......and then with life put back into the car......hot and cold cycles.....it's really opening up.......in many places you don't want it to. ???  Don't want to scare you off......just Don't think you want to be stuck half way there or back with a gorgeous set of wheels that ran dry en route with no ready help on some lonely roads....... :'(

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

dcastine

Yeah - I hear ya Jeff, I can imagine calling AAA from a lonely farmhouse somewhere in the mid-west, the door being answered by his daughter... (mind wandering)

BUT - I solved my problem, I have a buddy in Ft Wayne with a huge shop/garage - he'll accept the car from a shipper and store it for me until the wk-end of the show., I can drive it the two hours to the track, spend the week-end, drive it back to his place, and send a truck back out to pick it up - perfect!

Thanks guy, you made me "think out of the box"

Dave C
59 CDV
Wakefield, MA

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Dave,
I've got a radical idea. How about fixing your truck?
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

dcastine

It's a 1988 F250 with 375k on it, threw a rod - plowing - she's gone ...

JerRita

I'm sure if you dangled passes in front of someone you could get a lift I'd think about it if I could Also you still have 2 months to find a repacement truck theyare cheep now with gas prices going up again JeRita
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

David King (kz78hy)

It's better the truck died there as opposed to pulling your car to Indy and being DOA along side the interstate somewhere in PA.

Now that would be a bummer.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Brian Daum

Hi Dave,

I certainly solved your problem!!!

I bought the car!!!

Looking forward to seeing it in Norway!!
1956 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1959 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
1998 Cadillac DeVille d`Elegance

R Schroeder

Wow, all of that and he sold the car ?
I hope you put more than 75 miles on it, in the next 13 years...............ha
Roy

76eldo

Dave,

That's a beautiful car, and I really like the black and white photo.

Brian Daum is a first class individual and buyer.  I have assisted him a few times with cars he has purchased and helped him export them to Norway.

Congratulations.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Brian Daum

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your congratulations and kind words!!  This car is for my personal collection - and trust me, it will be driven. I`ve been on the look out for a nice 59 CDV for many years - and I also wanted an attractive color combination.

I would also like to mention what a positive and helpful person Dave has been thru this transaction. He has really extended himself the extra mile - believe me - not everybody is like Dave in this respect!!

Let`s hope that we don`t loose Dave entirely to Mopars......

R Schroeder

Well Brian, you got yourself one very nice looking 59.
Roy

Brian Daum

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the nice comments!

Dave, the car and myself are all 59 models - they certainly don`t make`em like they use to.. :)

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Brian Daum

Sorry, No, it won`t.  That is in May and hopefully it will be attending parades around my house once it gets here late April.

But it sure would have been fun attending that parade, but since we`re heading to the States in July I couldn`t do two trips in a year.

dcastine

Hi Guys...

Since my truck died and my business is ailing a bit;  the signs were loud and clear no Indy - and sadly the car needed to be sold for some much needed business capital. I junked the truck and sold the trailer as well.

Brian is getting a truly wonderful car, and by the sounds of it - he's going to give it a GREAT home! I'll get another one someday, maybe a '60 CDV next - I love those. For now I have my 340 Duster to keep me entertained.

Drive safe Brian! It was a pleasure dealing with you, let me know if you need anything else.

Regards,
Dave Castine
Wakefield, MA
(Former owner of a Classic 1959 Cadillac)

R Schroeder

dcastine

Hi Roy - It is fun, just not as cool.... :(

Kept in the trunk of the Caddy during the winter months -  ;D

Take care,
Dave C