News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 Cadillac seat rebuilding

Started by walt chomosh #23510, February 27, 2011, 10:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walt chomosh #23510

Gentlemen,
   I will be starting a auto seat rebuliding class at my local VoTech this week and wondered if anyone following this site has info in reguards to proper rebuilding the seats internals.....were they the same as any other GM seat?(springs/pads/burlap,etc.) I'd like to rebuild the seat to be the proper comfort level.....walt chomosh...tulsa,ok

Steve Passmore

Yes Walt, Iv trimmed all GM and many other makes and their structure has always been basically the same but changing as the years moved on and production methods improved.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

walt chomosh #23510

Does anyone know of a source for seat foam that will fit the 55 models?......walt

55 ledsled

http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/app/acc_carpet.php

Would highly recommend these folks get you what you need for your interiors. I got great cut and sewn carpet set with padding, and custom made seat covers for my 55 Cad 4 door made for right around $800. Good people to work with!!

5390john

I would very strongly recommend SMS in Canby Oregon. They manufacture their own fabric at their own mills, they made my door panels, head liner, seat covers, trunk lining fabric, custom dyed wool carpet, custom dyed vinyl, and custom tanned leather hides, all EXACTLY as original. All my upholstery shop did was assemble the seats and install everything.
See photos of my 1955 6237DX, "Marilyn"
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

55 ledsled

Dang that must of cost a few dollars to have those brought back to original? I was quoted almost 3 grand to go back to original if they could even find my material, of course I'm not going for a trophy trailer queen either.

5390john

From start to finish, I think I'm into the interior for about $9 grand or so. You could easily spend more, depends if you do part of the work yourself. I did as much as I could myself. SMS basically made a kit for me and I had my interior guy assemble the seats and do most of the installation of everything else. I felt I got off reasonably cheap considering that you could spend a LOT more if you had a shop do everything for you. I consider the interior to be concours worthy.
John Adams 
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"