News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1950s Cadillac fifth wheel parking concept.

Started by Eric S. Maypother #15104, February 27, 2011, 01:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Interesting, I've seen these somewhere on-line before in a period video, I wonder how many were made and still out their.

http://www.wimp.com/fifthwheel/
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

R Schroeder

My cousin sent that to me the other day, but I couldnt figure out how to get it on here. Pretty neat.

Tito Sobrinho

Very interesting concept and the car shown is a 1951 which, didn't have power steering a feature incorporated in all 1952's Cadillacs.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

TJ Hopland

I have seen that clip many times over the years.    Anyone ever see any more pictures or any technical information?  A hydrostatic drive for the wheel would seem ideal and then you had the hydraulic power there for the up down part.   I think that is about the time hydrostatic drives started to exist but I dont think they got popular till at least the 60's.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

The funny thing about the unit is that is states that the vehicle's own drive shaft powers it, but I don't see the vehicle's rear wheels rotating as the vehicle is moving sideways.

Plus, it would be a real pain to have to remove the spare wheel to replace a puncture, and think of all that dust that is going to enter the trunk whilst driving on dusty roads, or even in the rain with the hole in place for the wheel to go downwards.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon