News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

56 Coupe no brake lights or signals

Started by okccadman, March 07, 2011, 11:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okccadman

I drove my 56 coupe to work this morning and suddenly have no brake lights or signals.  A friend told me it could be the signal switch inside the column.  Anyone had this problem?
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

R Schroeder

That sounds like one place I would check, but I would check fuses , connections , and grounds first.
Roy

John Bezik

Do you have tailights with the switch pulled out?

R Schroeder

Tail lights should come on, because they dont go through the turn signal switch. Only the brake lights do.
Roy

J. Gomez

Quote from: Roy Schroeder on March 07, 2011, 06:39:09 PM
Tail lights should come on, because they dont go through the turn signal switch. Only the brake lights do.
Roy

Roy,

Sorry to correct you but there is a single light bulb for turn signal and brake light for the 1956, the blinker path and the brake light path both do go through the directional signal switch.

When the signal switch is centered both brake light are active, on either left or right position the blinker is active on that side while the brake light is active on the opposite side.

HTH
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Roy is correct. He said the TAIL lights, read that as running lights, don't go thru the switch. The reason for the stop lights going thru the switch is so they can blink. Their filament is stop/flasher.  
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

J. Gomez

Roy,

Sorry eyes and brain dislodged, you are correct the tail/parking light are different path altogether, thanks Bob.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

R Schroeder

Thanks guys,
I should have been a little clearer on my posting. There are two filaments in the rear bulb. One is turn / brake, and the other is running light . Running doesn't run through the switch on the column.
Roy

Somewhere along the last 40 or 50 years they got smart and ran separate circuits  for all the lights out back. Running,brake,turn,and of coarse back up lights.

okccadman

Any chance a faulty flasher could cause this?  Can you tell im not excited about removing the steering wheel?
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

R Schroeder

If your flasher is bad the turning lights will just stay on. There is a reed filiment in the flasher that heats up and breaks the curcuit. When it cools it makes contact again, and then repeats the cycle. This is what usually happens.
If you cant find blown fuses or bad contacts, I think your looking at a steering wheel job. I would also check all bulbs before doing that too. Might have over loaded them and it might have blown the filiments in all of them. VERY VERY long shot, but it might happen.
Roy

I can tell your not excited. I wouldnt be either..........ha