News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Factory Photo Of A 1940 LaSalle

Started by Carla Tynes, March 18, 2011, 12:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carla Tynes

Here is a factory photo of the 1940 LaSalle Series 50 5 passenger 4 door touring sedan.  Charles D. Barnette

Charles D. Barnette

I bought this treasured photo off of ebay which included other factory photos. This was the only LaSalle photo however. I have not seen this photo before. Of course 1940 was the last production model for the LaSalle. Charles D. Barnette

Charles D. Barnette

According to the latest club directory there appears to be at least 34 of these LaSalles in our club with this year and particular body style. Some interesting colors were available for the 40 LaSalle such as Antoinette Blue, Oxblood Maroon Iridescent, Knickerbocker Gray, and Chicory Green Iridescent. I thought interesting colors like these existed only in the 50s. I was wrong. I can still hear the Bunkers singing "Gee our old LaSalle ran great!" Charles D. Barnette

Gergely Szentmartony 25603

I am sorry, but is it only me who does not see the photo?
I did see it for a couple of days then it disappeared.
"Brougham - For all the reasons you have ever wanted a Cadillac"

www.cadillaclasalle.hu

Tito Sobrinho

Beautiful Torpedo body! Interesting is that...the Cadillac 1940 had the isolated pods headlights X the LaSalle, Buick, Oldsmobile Pontiac  and Chevrolet; as part of the fender.

I didn't see the picture but, I grew up with these cars.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Charles D. Barnette

Apparently my 40 LaSalle photo is magical. It disappeared from this thread on its own without Carla or I wishing it to so disappear. The moderators claim they had no part in it. It is the case of the disappearing 40 LaSalle Photo! Charles D. Barnette

Charles D. Barnette

Not to worry, I have been assured the photo will reappear shortly. Charles

Carla Tynes

Here is the disappearing photo of the 1940 LaSalle.  Charles D. Barnette

Charles Barnette

In studying the history of my hometown Texarkana, I discovered a  black and white picture of a 1940 LaSalle ambulance owned by Texarkana Funeral Home in 1940. Apparently it doubled as an ambulance/hearse combination with a special spotlight attachment and a light attached above the windshield. The photo is of the driver's side only but reveals that it was built on a commercial chassis as a rear end loader with the series 50 "suicide" doors, with running boards, and with non-integral tail lights. Carla, my secretary, will post it on Monday. I am then hoping that fellow member Jim Jordan will be able to identify which coach builder would have built this vehicle. I have no idea what would have happened to this vehicle once the Texarkana Funeral Home had ceased the use of this vehicle. I understand there were 1030 LaSalle 1940 commercial chassis shipped out to various coach builders. Charles D. Barnette

Jim Stamper

I know of a 1939 LaSalle hearse a wrecking yard in Massachusettes . It still has the works in the back as I recall. It also has a 39 sedan sitting right behind it. If any of you commercial car or professional car folks are interested, get in touch, I will dig out the number for you. The yard owner is a sympathetic old car guy. I don't mean he gives things away, but he is extra reasonable and a nice guy who likes to see things preserved.

Jim Stamper CLC# 13470

Carla Tynes

Here is the 1940 La Salle Ambulance!  Charles D. Barnette

Charles D. Barnette

Fellow member Jim Jordan has told me that the 40 La Salle Ambulance herein would only be used as an ambulance not also as a hearse. Further he has identified the coachwork as being built by A. J. Miller Co. of Bellefontaine, Ohio. Of the 1030 1940 commercial chassis built by Cadillac, only 235 were shipped to Miller. Therefore the above 40 LaSalle ambulance pictured is only one of 235 built! Charles D. Barnette-my reference is the book La Salle-Cadillac's Companion Car by Gelderen and Larson (the Bible on LaSalles).

LaSalle owner

I am new to this site and recently found this thread. My family owns a 1940 LaSalle series 50 flower car that was passed down through my grandfather who bought it directly from a Philadelphia funeral home when they retired it in the late 40's.I will try to post some photos later,but its an all original beauty with about 50k miles on it.

Andrew Pullin

I have a 1940 LaSalle hearse! But it's a Superior. There are pictures in the link in my signature.

It needs another 3,000 hours of work, and in the past year, I've put in ... oh ... 60?  ;D It'll work again eventually.

To the unnamed "LaSalle owner", please post pictures of that vehicle; I'd love to see it!
Andrew Pullin
1940 La Salle Superior hearse
http://andrewpull.in/hearse/