News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'47 Cadillac 60-S... Hydramatic fluid change & rear end fluid

Started by Mike Mentzer, March 20, 2011, 04:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Mentzer

I want to change the tranny fluid in my recently back to life & running '47 Cadillac 60-S.  It sat for about 6 years not running before I got it. It has the Hydra-Matic transmission. What would be the fluid of choice be?  The tranny is down to "low" reading on the stick & slips just a little when it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. I am hoping that a fresh change of fluid & the proper level will help. Also...any suggestions on rear end lube type? I'd like to change that next.  Thanks in advance...Mike Mentzer
Mike Mentzer
CLC# 26460
Charlestown, RI

R Schroeder

This is what I found. This has been brought up before , and if I remember right , this chart is what they went by.
This is for the tranny. DEXRON has been GM's fuild since the begining.
Roy

http://spauto.com/atf.html

I should think the rear end would be any good gear oil, like 90W oil. Dont think there is anything special there, but someone else might chime in too.

I run a synthetic in my 78 .

Jim Sparrow

The current Dextron transmission fluid is fully compatible with your Hydra-Matic.    -Jim