News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 bumper mystery

Started by Paul Tesone, March 20, 2011, 09:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Tesone

I need some help regarding 1937 Cadillac bumpers . I'm restoring a 1937 Cadillac 6049 series . One of my bumpers was dented , so I planned to rechrome a spare that I bought some time sgo . Much to my surprise,I discovered that the spare had a different shape from the ones that were on the car. So I bought another one that was the correct shape and had already been rechromed . That one turned out to be longer and have less of a profile curve than either my spare or the bumpers on the car . It wouldn't even fit on the bumper brackets ( the incorrect shaped spare did ) . I now have three different types of bumpers. They are clearly for a 1937 Cadillac or LaSalle , but each must be for a different series vehicle . I plan to attach photos , but in case they don't come thru, I'll do my best to describe each of the bumpers . Bumper #1( the spare ) has straight edges - top and bottom - all the way across the bumper and measures 20" from the bumper guard hole to the end of the bumper . Bumper #2 (the one on my car ) has  left & right side dips in the top and bottom edges at the middle 1/3 of the bumper , and  measures 20 1/2" from the bumper guard hole to the end of the bumper . Bumper #3 ( rechromed )  has the same dips along the edges that #2 has, and it measures 18 1/2" from the bumper guard hole to the end of the bumper . All are different lengths , with #3 being the longest at 69" . #1 & 2 have the same profile curvature , but #3 is significantly flater ( see profile picture ) . Confused yet ?? I sure hope the pictures get attached ; then things will be clearer . I would like to know what series car bumpers #1 & 3 belong to so I can sell them with the proper information . I have concerns that the plater may have rechromed  bumper #3 which had been flattened by a collision; and I don't want to pass on a defective bumper . Given the strength of these steel bumpers, I think it would be difficult to deform the bumper so uniformly , but I guess anything is possible . I will appreciate any and all help to get me out of the bumper business . Paul Tesone CLC #6876 ............... I've been trying to downsize and post my pictures for over two hours . I give up ! I really wanted the pictures posted because the visual would make my explanation so much easier to understand . Maybe someone will be able to understand the text without the pictures . Thanks again . Computer challanged , Paul Tesone . CLC #6876

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Paul,
I looked in my favorite reference book, The 1942 MPB.
#1 60 series bumpers are the same front & rear & fit 60 series only.
#2 All the other series cars except the V16 have different bumpers front & rear.
#3 Those bumpers do fit all the series, either front or rear.
#4 So... there are only 3 different bumpers offered in 37.
#5. You need someone with a 65,70,75 or 85 series car to do some measurements.
#6 You better check to see that both the bumpers that you're going to use are the same.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Paul and Bob,

Was replying when saw Bob's response.

My Master Parts Book, 1947 shows the following:

Group 11.0782
Part # 109 7540

1937 Series 50 and 60 Front and Rear
1937 Series 65, 70, 75, and 85 Front

So something changed....

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Stinson

Hello Paul,
I just tried to post here twice and they did not take for some reason. I will measure my 75 series for you tomorrow. I do know that the front and rear bumpers differ in hole spacing. The problem with your photos may not be your problem. At least on my computer I notice that attached photos will not open on the Restoration Blog. But other very large full screen photos do.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Johnny,
OK... you got me a little. LOL. Corrected info. from the 1942 MPB.
#1 50 Series by themselves, same front & rear.
#2 All 60,65,70,75 & 85 fronts the same.
#3 60 series same front & rear.
#4 all 65,70,75 & 85 rears the same.
#5 So... only 2 different bumpers between Cadillacs.
#6. original series 50 bumpers must have been different when new.
We need input from owners like Ty & a series 50 owner.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Paul,

I have a 37 LaSalle Coupe and a 38 65 series so can take some measurements if needed.

Let me know.

Always fun to check these old specs out. Was working on my SS column so this is a great way to screw off.
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille

Mark Lowery

In response to Bob's suggestion, here is the information for a 1937 50 series car, (LaSalle, 5019).  The distance from the bumper guard mounting hole to the end of the bumper is 19-1/2" measured in a straight line (Chord) along the backside.
The 1/2" difference between this and what Paul reported in the initial post may have to do w/ how he took his measurement.  This bumper is stored in such a fashion that I cannot get an overall length, but it sits the description of both the top and bottom edge being parallel and straight in a horizontal plane.

Mark Lowery, CLC#25216

Stinson

Hello,
I have just measured my three sets of front and rear bumpers. These measurements are all taken from the bumper lying on the front surface from end to end. The measurements for the position of the first hole is from the end of the bumper to the first edge of the hole.

Keep in mind that these are old used bumpers and may have been sprund or bent over the years.
Hope this helps.

Set One:
67 1/4 and 17 7/8
67 3/8 and 20 5/8

Set Two (Originals 1937 Cadillac 8519 V-12 same as 7519 V-8)
67 3/8 and 17 7/8
67 1/2 and 20 5/8

Set Three:
67 1/2 and 17 7/8
67 1/4 and 20 3/8

Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Tom Beaver

Paul,

I have a 37 Cadillac bumper, don't know what series, it measures 69" end-to-end across the back; 20" across the front face from the tip of the bumper to the bumper guard mounting hole; 14" from ctr. of 1st bracket to ctr. of hole for bumper guard; 33" from ctr. of bumper guard to ctr. of bumper guard.  It has the left & right side dips in the top and bottom edges you mentioned and the end configurations are more pointed near the top, not squared off like the LaSalle bumpers.  I will try and attach a picture.

Tom Beaver

Steve Passmore

Sounds like Paul has one for each series.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Paul Tesone

OK - I might just have this picture downsizing thing beat . I'm not sure how I did it , but let's see if it works . If it does , text will follow Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

ALL RIGHT !!! Success after three nights of experimentation . Two more photos. Paul Tesone CLC #6876

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Paul,

Congratulations on getting the pictures sorted out.   And what nice pictures they are.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Paul,

I am not the brightest guy on the block. But when I did the 37 LaSalle I thought I got the wrong bumper from a great vendor. It turned out the  problem was the wrong support brackets.

Have you pondered the problem of the wrong support brackets? Seems to me  it might be something to consider. It took me a long time to figure it out when I was doing the LaSalle restoration.

Short story, got a rear bumper and brackets from a vendor (good guys and still do business with them), was supposed to be for the 1937 LaSalle. What they sent me was a 37 Cad bumper, which was the same for my LaSalle. But, but, but the problem was they sent me the Cadillac bumper supports. These were absolutely wrong. Life sucked till I got the right bumper support brackets.

the johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille

Paul Tesone

I can't believe the pictures actually posted !! So , some additional explanation of the measurements . My overall length measurements are from tip to tip from the back . The hole to end measurements are from the front side of the bumper. Picture #5 is a profile shot . What you are looking at is bumper #3 in front of #1 & #2. It is significantly flater . Thanks to all who have contributed measurements and info . This is what I've learned . All of the pictures I've seen of 1937 LaSalles have bumpers like #1 ( straight edged ). Some of the 1937 Cadillacs have straight edged bumpers , some have the dips in the edges . I have gathered measurements of 15 different bumpers . All have slightly different measurements in length and bumper guard hole to bumper end. Most differ by no more than 1.5". Only one ( Tom Beaver's ) was 69" long , like my # 3 . But the hole to end measurement was significantly different from mine . The small discrepancies can probably be explained due to measurement techniques and /or deformities . But there is no doubt that my # 3 is much different from any of the ones reported by some local people and Forum responses . Look at the different lenghts and the different line up of the bumper guard holes . So I'm not sure what the concensus is as to what series vehicle bumpers #1 & #3 belong to . I'm beginning to wonder if # 3 is a commercial series due to its overall greater lenght .  THANK YOU all for your input . Paul Tesone CLC # 6876.

Paul Tesone

Thanks Bruce - now if I can just remember how I did it for my next post . I'm so happy that I can share my progress with the members . As the car gets closer to completion, I am developing  a new and deeper appreciation for Cadillacs of the 30's. I thought my 57 Biarritz would always be my favorite , but I'm not so certain now.--------- John , I don't think the brackets are a problem . I'm using the brackets and bumpers  that came with the car. Either bumper will fit on either front or rear brackets , and I believe that's what's supposed to happen on a 60 series . They both went out to be rechromed recently. Thaks again. This Forum and the responders are great . Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

Stinson

Hello Paul, I think your bumper is a 1939 Cadillac bumper, and the same as 1940 LaSalle. Your car looks great! Who ever said Manard Gray looks dull?
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Paul Tesone

Ty - thanks for both the kind comment and the information . I'll look into the bumper situation further . Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Paul Tesone

Ken - found the post . Let's see if posting the entire post will help . Paul Tesone CLC # 6876 .