News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Question

Started by J I Garner CLC # 23406, March 28, 2011, 11:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J I Garner CLC # 23406

I drove my 1962 Eldorado on a 300 mile trip a few days ago and last night I noticed that the paint had burned off the center exhaust port on both banks. Also the crossover port in the intake manifold has burned the paint off. Is this normal or do I have the heat riser installed upside down? How is it supposed to be installed? I drove a 53 CDV on a 4000 mile trip many years ago and the heat riser stuck causing the center four cylinders to overheat and break some rings. I would not like to go through that again.
Jim

Philippe M. Ruel

I had the intake manifold on my car sandblasted and painted last year upon leaky gasket changing.

The so-called "high-temperature paint" on center part of the manifold lasted a good TWENTY SECONDS after first engine start, then it started bubbling before my eyes. It totally peeled from the manifold after a few hundred miles.

By the way, the heat riser valve was frozen OPEN.
1952 60 Special in France.

R Schroeder

Dan LeBlanc

According to the authenticity manual, the paint in this area is supposed to be scorched if I recall correctly.  Mine scorched on my 62 also with no heat riser valve.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

J I Garner CLC # 23406

Thanks. I thought it was ok. My heat riser is new.
Jim