News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Quality of new brake drums on ebay and from Kanter?

Started by Caddy Wizard, March 28, 2011, 11:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Wizard

Has anyone purchased these new castings from Kanter or the ebay seller for late forties and fifties Cad's?  Are the drums good and round?  Or do they need to be turned once you get them?  The are selling for something like $130 each, I think.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Carl Schreiber

Art -

If I'm not mistaken, Kanter only offers front drums.  My focus is 1957, and I'm not sure anyone even offers rear
drums.  Per the 57 and 58 shop manuals, those drums are 12" diameter, and can only be cut to 0.060" over.

Funny how none of the parts suppliers would pick up on that and offer rear replacement drums.

As for the quality, some of the stuff I'd ordered (wheel bearings) looked a little suspect and I returned them without
any questions.  Kanter was very good about the return.  I suppose you could order them, look them over, and if you
didn't like what you saw, return them.

Carl Schreiber 

Caddy Wizard

Carl,

I have ordered from Kanter before and been able to use only about half of what I bought due to quality issues.  The ebay guy is definitely selling rear and front drums, from something like 52 up.

Art
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

dplotkin

I bought front wheel bearings from Kanter (for a 60 Buick) that failed within 250 miles. No more Kanter bearings or brake parts for me.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker