News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

41 Conv Cpe Seat adjustment

Started by Charlie Renner, March 28, 2011, 10:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Renner

I purchased a nice 41 6267 in the fall.  The car needs very little, but I'm sure I'll be back.  My question of the day:  I'm 6'4" and can drive the car, but clutching is awkward and driving is OK for relatively short distances, but I need to move the seat back.  I was told by a fellow CCCA'r that there could be an adjustment I can make to the seat frame.  Is this true, or do I need to get the drill out?  I'm not crazy about drilling new holes, but I plan to drive & enjoy the car.

PS I joined CLC and this forum is fantastic.

1941 6267

Doug Houston#2257

First, you should be driving longer cars....YOU're too long! Seriously, this is a super fun car to drive. I've had mine for 52 years.

Check, if you haven't already, to see if the seat is going back as far as it's able to do. Those seat adjusters have a cross shaft fro one gear set to the other, and they often hang up before the seat reaches its full travel. I'd sort of expect a tall guy to fit well in one of those cars (I'm 5'11", but havee short legs). Harley Earl himself, was about 6'5" or so. He was a big drink of water!

So, check to see if you might have more rearward adjustment. 

Charlie Renner

Thanks, I will give it a try.  Everyone thinks it's great to be tall.  For basketball, yes, cars no.  I can't tell you how many cars I have had to pass on or cross of the list.  Having a 34-36" inseam doesn't help.  Harley should have offered a 6' + option for tall people.  I can't speak for everybody, but I'd pay for an option to get more leg room.
Charlie Renner  CLC# 26324<br /><br />1941 6267 D

Don Boshara #594

It could be worse. In the 40s & 50s we had a customer who bought a new Pontiac from us every year and we always had to move the seat back. We also had to block up the pedals too. This was so he could get his stomach behind the steering wheel.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

Charlie Renner

I'm not there yet, but this winter put about 10 on  I don't need.  When you moved  the seat back for your "big boned" client, do you know if it meant redrilling the mounts in the floor or if the frame could be altered.

Thanks

Charlie Renner

Don Boshara #594

Sorry, I was in sales and didn't know the technical part. I should have said "they" referring to the service dept. instead of "we."
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

mgrab

Charlie,
You should try what Doug suggested.  My mechanism was "gunked up" with surface rust and years of dust/loose seat materialafter some WD and persuasion it traveled its full amount.  My seats are out of the car but I do remember at full travel back I was pretty far from the steering wheel.....I'm about 6'.  The position of the seat is pretty fixed as far as your floor is concerned.  That is a raised section with pre-tapped holes over structural supports.  I don't think you'll get what your looking for there....at least for the amount of energy it will take to accomplish. There may be some room to reposition the mechanism/feet where they bolt to the seat itself but from what I can remember there isn't much there to work with as well....fairly tight fit but that's probably your best bet if you really need to do something.  My seat are in storage or I'd look for you....
Mike
1941 Cadillac 6267D
1948 Packard Custom Eight Victoria
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan

Charlie Renner

Thanks for all of the great advice.  Sorry for the delay, my computer crashed last week.
Weather is breaking, I'm going to get to it this weekend.