News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Disc brake kit for 67 Eldorados?

Started by Antoni Deighton, March 29, 2011, 01:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoni Deighton

I just got off the phone with Kanter who tell me they have a disc brake conversion kit for '67 Eldorados. (Information is not yet available online, but they're sending me a catalog.) Has anyone seen or installed this kit? How's the quality? They're charging $1,099, which I guess is comparable to searching for and buying all the individual parts off a later Eldorado, but the biggest plus for me is their claim that the kit fits the drum brake wheels.
Any info or experience would be a big help. I'm planning on installing front discs as my Summer project, so I'd like to know which way to go.
Thanks,
Antoni
Antoni Deighton - CLC# 25867
1967 Cadillac Eldorado - (Grecian White)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - (Arizona Beige)
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT - (Bluette)

Dave Shepherd

The 68 disc brake car used the same wheels as 67 if my memory is correct, see if the 67/68 wheels are the same and you should have your answer.

TJ Hopland

Let us know what the catalog says.  My guess is they are just assuming the Eldo is the same as the rest of the line for the year.   I was going to buy a Toro last summer and did some checking on the brake issue but didnt really come up with anything simple.  Best shot looked to be converting to the 69-70 which then used many of the parts of the 71-78's.   Problem was finding the 6970 parts.  Did not seem like there was any point in going to the 67-68 setup because parts for those are expensive if you can find em.   Lots of this stuff is listed but when you call to order its a different story.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Glen

I’ve looked at this several times as the Club Tech for these cars.  I should write it down as I keep forgetting the details. 

The wheels for the ’67 â€" 78 Eldos are all the same, there are no wheels exclusively for drums or disc.   

There are some differences between the ball joints for the 67/68 and the 69/70.  The steering knuckles are different because of the different wheel bearings. 

Control arms are the same 67 -70. 

Basically if you get 69/70 knuckles and ball joints to match you can install the complete disc brake system on you ’67. 

At the same time you eliminate the $300+ each wheel bearings on the 67 and 68 Eldos. 

I’ve been able to keep my original wheel bearings and disc brakes except for the master cylinder and booster which are from a ’70. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

TJ Hopland

Was it just 66 Toro that had the odd wheels?  One of my cars 73's and 75 came with a spare that is slightly different and does not clear the calipers on the front.  Thing that does not make sense there is I thought all the 66 toro wheels were chrome unless perhaps the spares were not?   Or did the Toros have different wheels than Cad in those early years?  From what I could tell it was similar to the Cads in that 66-67 tended to be drums then a lot of the 68's had disc.  I think 69 was standard disc.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Antoni Deighton

Thanks for all the help and responses! I'm relieved I can keep my standard wheels and not have to start another long search!
So here's another question!
If I switch to the 69/70 spindle (no need to change the upper control arm?), can I use parts from the 71-78 cars?
And are the 71-78 spindles and control arms the same as the 69/70?
(I'm guessing the answer to both those questions is no, but it would sure open up a wider selection of parts and prices if I can increase my search net!)
Glen, if you have any details about making the conversion I'd definitely be interested (I'll take photos of the process on my car to illustrate!). I love everything about these cars, but must admit the drums are pretty appalling! The difference between the Eldorado and my 78 Fleetwood is like night and day.
Thanks again,
Antoni

Glen

Let me try this: 

According to the Master Parts Book the upper and lower control arms for ’67 â€" ’70 Eldos are all the same but do not fit later cars. 

For ’67 â€" ’68 Eldos.  Part numbers for the knuckles are 396600 and 396601 (right and left).

For ’69 â€" ’70 Eldos Part numbers for the knuckles are 3633855 and 3633854 (right and left).

For ’69 â€" ’74 Eldos Part numbers for the knuckles are 407144 and 407144 (right and left).  This is a 1974 parts book so later knuckles may also be the same. 

Notice the ’69 and ’70 have an option of two different knuckles.  The difference is in the ball joints. 

For the ’67 â€" ’70 Eldos lower ball joint part number is 393371 except for certain ’69 â€" ’70 Eldos.   

For ’69 â€" ’74 Eldos (and maybe through ’78) the lower ball joint part number is 231144. 

It looks to me like you can use the existing control arms.  Get any available ’69 â€" ‘74 knuckle.  If the knuckles have the numbers 407144 and 407145 then you need new ball joints to fit them.  Ask for ball joints for ’71 later Eldos.  If the knuckles do not have those numbers then get ’67 â€" ’68 ball joints.  You probably want to change ball joints anyway unless you just did that. 

The ’68 â€" ’70 Calipers are the same; and the ’71 â€" ’73 are the same.  In ’74 the calipers changed again, but since the steering knuckles are the same the calipers should all fit. 

Just pick a year and get all the brake parts for that year and the knuckles.  It will most likely be easiest to find a donor car.  That will dictate the year you upgrade to. 

There is the thought that the rear brakes should match the front disc system.  The ’67 and ’69 â€" ’70 Eldos have 7/8” rear brake cylinders. ’68 has 13/16” and ’71 â€" ’74 have 15/16”.  But I would keep the ’67 cylinders because they match the weight of the car. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Antoni Deighton

That is truly great, thank you. My front end does need to be rebuilt which was the trigger for doing the upgrade. Your write up is clear and concise and far less intimidating that some of the Toronado conversions I've read. It's great too that it's Eldorado specific!