News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 VIN Decode

Started by Charlie Renner, March 29, 2011, 06:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Renner

I have purchased a 41 6267 D this past fall and am trying to figure out the VIN and production codes.  Paint is 58 which I found to be Mc Kinley Gray Metallic, But the Trim reads A7, Body reads 242, and top is 9.   I can't seem to find coresponding info.

Vin engine code is 5352190.  I have read some blogs on frame stiffining.  I was wondering is my production late enough to have the reinforced frame?  I'm not comfortable with jacking the car up to get a look under until I know. 

Car is currently Black with red leather interior and tan cloth top with red piping.

Thanks
Charlie Renner  CLC# 26324<br /><br />1941 6267 D

Brett Baird

Your engine appears to be out of a series 61.  The engine numbers for series 61 are from 5340001 to 5369258.  Series 62 went from 8340001 to 8364734.  In 1941 the engine number could be found in two places:  on the engine block behind the left cylinder bank, and on the frame adjacent to the steering gear.  You can see the frame location from above the car.  These numbers are the VIN.  Since your engine doesn't appear to match the model of your vehilce, the frame number is likely your VIN.  The body number indicates the number of that body, not necessarily the sequence the vehilce was built in.  I can't find a trim code A7, the trim code for red leather is 87.

As far as the frame goes, reinforced or not, I wouldn't hesitate to jack one of these up, support it properly with jack stands and crawl under it.  The frames are quite stout.
B Baird
'41 Fleetwood 60 S  http://bit.ly/1jwgEWm
'59 Sedan DeVille 6339 "Flat-top"  http://bit.ly/1jwgUF1

Doug Houston

You have a pretty early car, just from the body number. You don't need to get under the car to see if you have the reinforced frame. With the rear wheel off, you should see if a cap, or cover of frame stock, that has been added to the kickup of the frame. You also should just look   under the car, and see if there's a plate, over the center of the "X" of the frame, about 14 inc hes on a side (It's rectangular). If you have the reinforced frame, there'll be such a plate top and bottom on the frame.

I wrote the article last year, in the CCCA Michigan Region "TORQUE' magazine, and immediately sent a CD with the article to Steve Stewart for the SS. He's never used it, and possibly never will. The article has already been reprinted in the CCCA monthly bulletun.

Anyhoo, the car is still perfectly drivable as it is. I have a convertible coupe and a convertible sedan; both of which are late enough to have the reinforcements. I've driven a convertible coupe without the frame update (The  update VIN is known; I just don't have it here), and the car rides very nicely. Just don't hit any Railroad crossings at 50 MPH. It appears that there are still quite a few cars without reinforcements in our clubs.

Charlie Renner

Thanks to you both for responding.  I also recently joined CCCA and they sent me some back issues. Good news, Doug, they did in fact print your article in the Jan 2011 journal  It helps alot.  Bad news is my car is not reinforced so I will have to take care when jacking.

My glasses solved the Trim code, it is in fact 87, but I can't find a serial # on the frame or behind the left bank.  I used a mirror behind the engine and could'nt see it.  This car is in really nice shape and was subject to a restoration at some point thus the color change to black.  I imagine the frame # could have been prepped & painted over.  I bought it from a Conn. dealer who aquired it from an estate.  The mother of the owner sold the car and didn't seem to know much.  I feel very fortunate to have the car.  The 41 CC has always been my favorite, and I finally saved enough to get one.

I have another question:  There is a pull out knob on the bottom of the dash to the right of the steering wheel.  I thought it was a choke knob.  The cable is broken @ the carb, but the way it attaches seams to me it could be a throttle control not choke,  I think it has an automatic choke now that I remove the air cleaner.  The car starts and runs fine, but I want to hook it back up.

Is this a throttle control and stock for the car?

My mechanical skills are decent, I've built a 302 ford from the ground up relying on books & manuals and it's running fine.  I have a shop manual reprint with the car but it doesn't go into a lot of detail for things like the carb & electrical.  I'm chipping away while it's still snowing so the car will be road worthy for the summer.

Thanks again for your knowledge & responses.

srk1941

Trim Code 87 is Red Leather.  Mine doesn't have a top code, the build sheet just says "tan top"
Steven Keylon
1941 Cadillac Convertible Coupe
CLC# 16658

Brett Baird

Charlie,

I'll try to post this reply again ???

The knob & cable are a hand throttle that were standard.

RE:  The serial number on the frame, I will try again to post a photo.  Mine was filled with paint, and I couldn't find it until I scraped the paint away.  The arrow in the photo points to the serial number.  You can't really see mine in the photo, but it's there.  Reference the motor mount and the steering gear for coordinates.

B Baird
'41 Fleetwood 60 S  http://bit.ly/1jwgEWm
'59 Sedan DeVille 6339 "Flat-top"  http://bit.ly/1jwgUF1

Charlie Renner

Thanks Brett,  I'll get back in there and look closer.  This definitely helps narrow it down.

Thanks for the clarification on the hand throttle as well.

Charlie Renner