News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 Cadillac Original WW Tire Width Question

Started by Joe Tartaglia, March 30, 2011, 10:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Tartaglia

I am going to buy Diamondback wide WW radial tires for my wife's 49 Cadillac (which is a 99.9% stock car).  Can anyone help me with info as to the correct width of 1949 Cadillac White Wall  tires?

Thank you

Joe

Jay Friedman

They were about 3½ inches, plus or minus an eighth of an inch depending on the brand of tire. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

art archambeault

_Firestone 8:20:15  4.25 inch ww. Art 22010

art archambeault

I would go with Jays quote. Mine are Firestone deluxe champion 8.20.15s,  4.25 in ww edge to edge. They also used Uniroyals to my knowledge.

Jay Friedman

Art and Joe,

I got my info on the original '49 whitewall width being 3½ inches years ago from an old tire man.  Another person who told me the same thing was CLCer Herb Karow, who is the CLC technical advisor on tires.

Another way I calculated the same thing was by referring to the original factory photo of 3 Cadillac employees working on a '49 chassis with a whitewall tire figuring prominently in the foreground.  This photo appeared in Roy Schneider's book "Cadilllacs of the Forties" and was reproduced in the December issue of the '49 Times.  In the photo you can measure the ratio of the vertical (non-distorted) whitewall width to the vertical diameter of the hub cap.  After determining the actual hub cap diameter by measuring one of your own hub caps, a little junior high school algebra will give you the whitewall width. 

Jay
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Jeff Maltby 4194

My oem US Royal spare "never down" is approx 3 7/8" wide. My Firestone deluxe 4.25". The wider the WW, the better on a 49/others of the 40's in my humble opinion.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jay Friedman

Yes, Jeff, I agree that there were whitewall tires back in '49 that were 3 7/8 and even more than 4 inches wide.  Could it be that at different times throughout the '40s and '50s the tire companies supplied the auto manufacturers with tires whose whitewall widths differed by a few fractions of an inch?   I don't know myself for certain, but maybe there was no standard whitewall width other than it was much wider than tires later in the '60s and '70s.  In my opinion, whether they look good or not is purely a matter of personal preference; on my own '49 Cadillac I usually buy 2 3/4 inch whitewalls which I find pleasing to the eye. 

Jay
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
Those of you saying that the original whitewalls on a 49 were approx. 4" or more are correct. 49,50 & 51 cars had the widest whitewalls after the war. It's really apparent in factory photos.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Joe Tartaglia