News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Making a 53 Wiring harness ???

Started by Quentin Hall Australia, March 31, 2011, 11:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin Hall Australia

I am at the stage on my 53 Eldos that I need to get the wiring harnesses done. Now I know that YNZ makes a beautiful replication of original (and I have access to one of these to copy). My dilema is that I need two harne$$e$ for my Eldos and also one for my 53 series 62 conv and then another for my mate's conv that I am working on. That's 4 sets and well over $12000 for wiring harnesses by the time I get them to Oz is a bit hard to swallow at present.
   Looking at my old harness I am sure that I can make it myself. I am prepared to forgo the woven sock and use black cloth tape instead.
   So does any one know who supplies the cloth covered wire and also the terminals to suit. And probably could go standard pvc wire for the two series 62s. Probably prefer the two 53 Eldos to be cloth covered. Apparently the "new" cloth covered wire is pvc underneath.
     Any help appreciated. Regards. Q   

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Hello Quentin, I made the harnesses [there are three on my car] for my 54 CDV, using the old ones as patterns. I did it to factory spec and it wasn't too difficult. The cloth covered wire is available here in Blighty in all the colours you want and the companies that supply it will also weave a new cover on the loom. Isn't there anyone in Australia that does this? I saved myself thousands doing it this way.
Phil

Terry Wenger

Quentin:

I have made all my own wiring harnesses for years for all my cars including my '32 through '49 Cadillacs. I get all my woven wire, terminals, and other supplies from YnZ's. When I finish the harness I tape it together and send it to YnZ's to have the woven covering put on.

There have been articles on makig a harness in the Self-Starter in the past. and I have written an article on how to make a harness for another publication. I will send you a copy if you wish.

Terry Wenger
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

Quentin Hall Australia

Thankyou gentlemen as usual. Yes Terry, I would appreciate it if you could forward me a copy of anything pertaining to this. I just got a link from RI Wire and it seems they have all the components and wire available. So that is a good start.
  I know all the wire colours required for the 53s but I still have to work out the wire guages. I will probably end up buying it by the roll.  It will probably be best to lay it all out and get my auto elec mate over for an hour.     I am most interested to learn more about the woven cover.   Ironically there is very little of the harness seen once installed just a small section in the engine bay so I am going to look if the cloth tape would be applicable.
   There is a company in Melbourne that does do woven reproduction harnesses, and I might add very helpful. (I will talk to them about applying the woven braid on if I make them.) It's just that I am hard pressed to spend the kind of money for four reproduction harnesses when I think with a bit of love and care (and perhaps a cold beer or three) I could do a lot of it myself. Don't get me wrong I don't think anyone overcharges it's just that it looks like something I could do.
    Taking on new challenges is my favourite part of the hobby.    Thanks again. Quentin. 

Caddy Wizard

I believe that there is a new wiring harness for a 52 or a 53 for sale on Craigslist somewhere in the US right now.  I saw it a few days ago.  I think they want to get something like $700 for it.  Do a nationwide craigslist search and you will come across it.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Philippe M. Ruel

I made a new harness for the Hydro-Lectric part of the wiring of my '52 in 2008 : see this thread http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php?topic=99647.0 and this link to a french forum for more pictures http://www.dreams-cars.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=7947.

The main harness has been off the car for a few months now, waiting for new wires from Rhode Island Wiring Co. The main harness is a bit more complicated in itself (more wire colors) than the Hydro-Lectric harness, but it seems as easy to re-do.
1952 60 Special in France.

Philippe M. Ruel

A sample of my current work (pictures taken yesterday)

Photo 1 : the whole harness lying on a woodfiber board, guided by nails, with part of the new harness set into place.

Photo 2 : old and new wires, or color vs. black & white (should I say, dark tan & light tan)

Photo 3 : easy, costless and useful : tag the old wires with wire gauge, color and function.

Philippe M. Ruel

2 more pictures

Photo 4 : wires meet hard conditions in engine compartment (oil pressure sender, temperature sender and ignition coil wires).

Photo 5 : instrument panel lights and indicators, if only I could illuminate them for the picture.