News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Commemorative Edition Conv?????

Started by okccadman, April 02, 2011, 12:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okccadman

Did they make a commemorative edition convertible?

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/2300480457.html

How many Commemorative Eldorados and Sevilles were made in 1985?
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

TJ Hopland

Wasnt ASC the American Sunroof Company that the factory had complete the converts?

The number of 85 converts I have seen was 2300 but 2100 is close enough to believe.

This was listed in the 84 eldo convert information that I assume carried over for 85:

* specific wide bright door and fender accent moldings;
    * decklid accent striping;
    * Biarritz script nameplate;
    * wire wheel covers
    * special Biarritz multi-button tufted seat design
    * leather-wrapped steering wheel rim
    * plus Cadillac's theft deterrent system

Looking at the photos it would seem to be a typical convert.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

AHBrown

I am not sure, but I don't think "they" and "they" being Cadillac made the Commemorative Edition in a convertible.  Along the same lines I recently saw a Eldorado Touring Coupe in a convertible.

From the pictures, it appears as though the car is a real bargain at $4900.00.

Eric S. Maypother #15104

I'm not positive but I think that car was on eBay before and discussed here some time back.

It has the right horn pad but the commemoratives had round emblems glued to sail panel, I don't see the emblems anywhere on this car, I know they couldn't glue them to the convertible top but they could of put them below it or on trunk. I also thought, but not positive that the seats had a blue pipping in them.

I got the emblems off one in a junk yard before, I wished I got the horn pad to.
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

AHBrown

Now that I think about it a little more, I believe the Commemorative Editions came with a hood badge, instead of the stand up hood ornament.  In any even, with all things considered, I think, for someone in the market for a Eldo of that vintage, it would really be worth looking into. regardless of whether or not its an "official" Commemorative Edition or not.

Richard Sills - CLC #936

I have seen one '85 Commemorative Edition convertible -- it was a white car with very low mileage that sold at the Atlantic City auction several years ago.  The original window sticker was with the car.

JeRita

I have an 84 Lt Briar Brown Touring edition Convertible It has a Hess and Eisenhardt plate on the door sill I have never seen another Do you have specs or photos Also mine has the standard leather intierior [no Birritz pillows] and it also has no stainless header cap over the windshield I don't know if it was removed but I wish I had one The top scuffs the paint when it is up Thanks jeRita

76eldo

Jerry,

I think there were probably only a handful of Hess & Eisenhardt Eldorado convertibles made in 1984.  I don't have any figures to back that up, but since ASC made the 2300 1984's and 2300 1985's and the cars were right around $40,000 new, I don't think there were too many made.  My 84 was purchased new by friends of mine and with the RR grill and wire wheels, the car went out the door for just under $40,000.  I have the window sticker somewhere.  I bought the car in 1990 with 70k miles on it for an even 10 grand.  I still have it, with 115K miles on it.

The HT4100 engine will forever haunt these cars and they will never be as valuable as they would have been with a different engine.

I love the look of this body style, especially in a convertible.  

When I found a black 1980 Eldorado convertible on ebay, I had to have it.  The 368 cast iron engine is not a great engine as far as performance or economy, but it's as bulletproof as any of the 472/425 engines that it's closely related to, and no worries about having an aluminum block.

Mine does not have the brushed stainless strip on top of the windshield header either, but I am sure something could be adapted to it.  Maybe I will remove the one on my 85 and have it copied in stainless.

The ASC cars had some frame stiffening underneath and on the core support to reduce cowl shake.  It didn't work too well.  Hess & Eisenhardt seemed to feel as though some extra stiffening in the trunk area was needed.  The car has some creakiness and cowl shake too, but who cares.  If you want a silent car that's not drafty or leaky, buy a coupe not a convertible.

I love mine and I am glad the nice weather is finally here!

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

JerRita

I always liked the looks of these convertibles When I bought this one I was looking at Allante's but after I drove the Allante I hated it. I also like the 4 passenger feature in these cars I needed to reweld where the top cylinders were attached they were staring to pull out of the frame If you copy that top piece let me know A nice guy from Wisconsin sent me a piece from a Rivera convertinle It had the correct profile but was only a thin sheet metal I was going to use it as a template and cut one out of stainless but the cost was out of sight As a temporary solution i repainted the windshield and put the clear body protective tape there I seldom put the top up anyway  If anyone has that piece let me know Thanks Jerry   
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs