News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

57 oil on #3 cylinder

Started by Peter Nieuwlandt, April 10, 2011, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Nieuwlandt

Hi

I'm having problems with oil getting on the # 3 cylinder spark plug of my 365 engine.
As You well know these engines have the infamous vacuum pump wich sits under the oil pump and in the oil !!!!

On this engine the one way pass valve and the tube going to the wiper motor were already removed when I got it.

I've heard and read some posts about this problem and always it refers to oil on the #3 cylinder but what I would like to know before I start tearing down my engine is HOW the oil gets up to the intake manifold in order to get to the # 3 cylinder?????

Thanks

Peter
Peter Nieuwlandt
CLC 17863

Coupe

The line from the auxiliary vacuum pump is tee'd into the vacuum line coming from the manifold just in front of the carburetor. If the check valve for the vacuum pump fails engine vacuum will pull oil into the runner that feeds 3 and 4. When this happened to me it was quiter surprise.  I was leaving an interesection and shut down traffic until the smoke cleared.

When you talk about the one way bypass valve are you talking about the one on the firewall? If so that is after the tee to the manifold.

1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Coupe

If oil is only showing up on #3 it could be a worn valve guide and/or o-ring.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2