News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

window logo etching

Started by ccp49, April 12, 2011, 05:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccp49

project 49 convertible.
I found a company that sells a kit for etching (chemical) the correct logo on the windows, instead of paying 50-100 per window, plus shipping.  One kit should suffice for all windows. 
My question is if anyone with a 49 can photograph the location and style of original logos? I do have some original glass, so I know where the door glass logo is located, but how about quarter windows, backlight, and vent windows?
As for the windshield, do both sides get the logo? One of mine has it and one does not. I suspect the answer is that both siides have the logo.

many thanks,
Dan Barbieri
Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Quentin Hall

G'day Dan, Here in oz all glass must be coded. But when I did new glass for my 59 Eldo I just couldn't bare having the Australian Standard big fat ugly logo plastered all over the glass. (I have seen Cads with random logos upside down in random corners ughhh) I got my local engraving company to make me a brass stencil. They scanned the original LOF logo off an original window, cleaned it up on the computer and then their amazing engraver routed the brass plate. I then gently sand blasted with very fine sand for barely a second and it is perfect. If you hold your glass suppliers hand (so they put it on the correct corner) they may already have the sandblast equip. I got a 53 Eldo windshield custom made and they not only put the LOF stencil on upside down but also the tinted band UPSIDE DOWN. haha but not funny at the time. 
     Now with the new wave of vinyl cutting machines you could possibly do it that way as well. (see below I will be doing a 49 conv soon) The LOF EZEye and date codes differ from year to year so best to get a scan off the window you are replacing. (Just for interest sake all the logos were on one way on the glass and just check which way yours is, ie on one side of the car logo was on the outside and on the other it was on the inside. so they just made a big pile of the cut glass and etched away and made no distinction as to whether LH or Rh. Does that make sense?.)
A good friend of mine in Brisbane has just landed a 49 conv. Black with red. I haven't seen it yet. He wants me to replace and align the cracked side windows and hydraulics asap so I will be interested to see if he has original glass. So you might make me some paper temps for me if your glass is correct and also do you know if any one repops the 49 gas tank? I may be able to get the vinyl stencils made if you go the sandblast way. Regards. Q 
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's my oem glass LOF logo.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Herman Desser

Having just finished my second convertible first was a 48 body off and the current one is a 49.  I replaced  all the glass including the top rear glass window.  I have done any and all pieces on this 49 including wiring looms all hydraulics, engine with s/s valve seats and valves, cam etc. Entire interior and top, trunk, and all plating including cadmium.  If you have any questions about the convertible I would be glad to answer via e-mail

The windshield logo is about 1/2 inch above the s/s trim bottom center of the windshield next to the s/s trim  that seperates the two pieces of glass...so both logos meet in the center of the windshield.  The vent windows have the logo at the bottom of the opening edge.  The rear 1/4 windows have the logo at the front edge of the window, flat side.  Yes on the flat glass pieces all faced the same direction usually reading from the outside on the drivers side and inside on the passenger side. 

The date coding is another matter as whatever was on the shelf got put into the car ...so for a 49 built in say july it is possible to have a piece of glass that reads 6-49 5-49 or 7-49 or any month previous to the actual build date.  This is my 2 cents worth,

Jeff Maltby 4194

Correct you are Herman. My right side door glass logo is facing inside, while the vent window has no logo.

After 17 years, I finally finished my 49 fastback . It came out better then expected and ready for the Next GN :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Qunetin Hall Australia

G'day Jeff, You know I never noticed the air cooling vent on the rear fender of the 49. Same goes for the fresh air outlet on the bottom of the front fenders. You seem to have a minor alignment problem on the rear bumper. . .  The bumper looks straight perhaps it's the car that's crooked. (don't want you to lose any points). Regards, Q

Jeff Maltby 4194

Q. Mail me direct for repro 40-50's GM gas tanks on ebay.

Least I got the stance right ~:<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500