News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Can I bolt '55 starter to '54 engine

Started by hydramatic1, April 14, 2011, 02:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hydramatic1

I know the part numbers are different, but are '54 and '55 start motors compatible?

Jari
1961 62S convertible
1955 62S convertible

Warren Rauch

I have never tryed this . I did check an after market ( Arrow, rebuilder) catalog , it says NO.Even a later edition when they would be trying to cut back on part numbers says no.
  I looked at the Cadillac parts book and only found 2 parts that make up the starter different. The soliniod cover which was changed mid 1955 to make the new battery cable work ( the new cable has a tang to keep it a given position) The second is the housing that bolts to the engine. If that were changed ,the 1955 might well be the same part as the 1954 starter.Warren