News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cam-o-matic wiper arms

Started by Jeff Wilk, April 18, 2011, 09:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

Anybody know how to remove the cam o matic wiper arms from a 59 Cadillac?  I can pull the spring tension part to get the shoes off the cam but can't then get the arm to lift off the shaft.  Any ideas?  All I know is that I don't want to break these........ ???
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Quentin Hall Australia

G'day Jeff, Sometimes what may be required is a bit of a CRC soak around the connection (overnight) and then a very careful bump or pry from the underside of the arm with a wooden block or wedge preferably on the opposite side of the spring loaded bit that you are pulling with all your might over the cam ( use a wooden edge so you don't bruise the soft edge of the chromed diecast wiper arm end). . . .  Easy right ?? 
     Just be careful cos you can be pulling and wiggling away on the arm and BANG !!!! off it will pop and you can easily scratch expensive paint.. . or worse knock over your bottle of beer that you have resting on the fender.  So best to also put a few blankets down and get your wife to hold your beer.
    Good luck . Regards. Q

Wayne Womble 12210

paulkersey

Wanting to get my 60 arms off too. Can't visualize the wedge technique.
You mean place the lift wedge under the rounded heel/rear the arm while your pulling the arm body flat toward the "center" as the manual shows.
I do not want break mine either.
Time to soak em and hope to hear from you all soon.
I have the beer part  of the instructions down.
J. Wicks # 19583

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, that's the way.

I used to use a Screw Driver (flat bladed) in one hand and prised it up as I pulled with the other hand to free the cam.

Do it carefully, and you won't damage anything.   Do it badly, and you could accidentally spear yourself with the screw driver as it slipped. >:(

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

paulkersey

Thanks,
I am kinda scared.
Just pull the arm straight back and level on the windshield while gently prying up the heel side that's 180 degrees around the post?
sorry for another question I don't want to break it. I hate sudden pops.
J. Wicks # 19583

The Tassie Devil(le)

That's it.

The cam is there to ensure that the wiper arm follows the curve of the windscreen, as it goes right out to the outside.

If you do the "prizing" slowly, you will see it come up, and once it has started, it is easy from there.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeff Wilk

It worked great....and even without the beer :(

Go slowly.....keep pressure while pulling the arm off the cam so it does not sneak back onto the cam.....use a piece of wood or a screwdriver wrapped in electric tape or duct tape like I did and just be careful to only get the screwdriver under the edge of the wiper arm and not further in where you would be prying against a notch in the shaft.  Go slow, increasing pressure and it will slowly giveway and then come right off without any POP.......

Now if I could only determine if I can actually change the windshield without having to remove the dash ??? ??? ??? ??? on my 59 fleetwood

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville