News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bushings-R-Us?

Started by Rick Krumbacher, April 22, 2011, 11:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Krumbacher

Hey guys,

I've got a 1947 Series 62, and I've foolishly set out to rebuild the starter; a Delco-Remy 1107931 starter with the 1118102 solenoid.  So I bought a rebuild kit for the starter, and it came with brushes and a bushing for the clutch plate and a single end bushing.  As it turns out, my starter has two ends, which would tend to imply that I need two end bushings.  Plus, the drive appears to have maybe three of the same sized bushings inside it, which might could possibly be worth replacing as well.  The one end bushing I got has '4225' stamped on the outside, but is smooth on the inside.  The one bushing I pushed out has 'CGB' stamped on the outside and has a pattern of indentations on the inside, probably to hold grease.  I've so far refused to buy multiple rebuild kits just to obtain enough bushings - one per kit.  I've so far failed to find anyone who sells just the bushings.  Any suggestions?  The end bushing appears to be just under 15mm ID and just over 15mm OD, and just over 18mm L. 

Rick Krumbacher

PS:  I'd also like to find a rebuild kit for the solenoid, if such a thing exists.

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Rick: I will try to answer both your postings with this reply but I will probably need another reply to post more pictures. First I have never attempted to personally rebuild a 346 starter. I have a local auto electric re-builder that has done my rebuilding of both starters and generators. Please scroll down this forum about 10 postings and read all postings under " Oil Cup Location of 346 Engine" Your starter number and solenoid check out for a 1947. Your end plate is probably a cast aluminum end plate and  the replacement part already has a pressed in bushing. This bushing has small indentations to hold the grease. Your rebuild kit probably does not include that bushing for that reason. This starter end plate was common to a lot of GM cars from 40-54. The part number is Delco Remy 1908580 and the box says  ONE BEARING. End plate pictured below.

Bill Ingler #7799

Rick: I have never seen a rebuild kit for a solenoid. There was a man somtime back who was in Hemmings who would do a rebuild. About the only thing that will go bad inside that solenoid is the relay. That relay for 47 is Delco Remy part number 1884537. Difficult to find but not impossible. One picture below is with the cover off the solenoid and the other is a NOS relay for a 47 solenoid. If I were you I would determine first is the solenoid really bad? There is an old saying # If it ani!t broke don`t try to fix it"