News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1939 Ignition switch

Started by lou-q, April 22, 2011, 07:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lou-q

I'm new to the club and to vintage Cadillac ownership.Does anyone have the part # for the Delco ignition switch for a 39 Coupe? Does anyone have a parts list on line?
I just got this car and would like to install the correct switch. It has an ILCO switch and key presently.
Thanks in advance.,
Lou Quirch   1939-61 Coupe
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Lou,

Not exactly sure of the question...

The 39, as did others, had a ignition switch with an armored cable and a cap at the end that attached to the coil to prevent theft. Are you talking about this total unit? Or just the plug in tumblers for it?

If it is the total unit I can look it up and send a picture of one off an earlier model that looks the same.

John W
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

lou-q

I'm sorry that I didn't have good info.
There is a regular ignition switch in there now.
The way you state it is that the switch has a cable going to the coil for theft deterant.
All of that is gone;  maybe I should leave it as is. Or is it easy to redo?
Thanks,
Lou Quirch
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us

Lou,

No problem, was not criticizing...

If you are going to have the car judged then it will need to be brought back to original. If it is going to be for fun and shows then it probably is not worth the time and effort to find the unit and the coil...

Of course I may be shot for saying this, but it is my opinion.

If you need further help just let us know.

John W
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille

lou-q

Hi John,
What's to hooking up an original switch. Does the wiring have to be modified to hook up somewhere else.
There is actually one on Evil Bay right now.
My car has a replacement wiring harness that was done a few years ago.
Thanks for the help,
Lou Quirch
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us

Lou,

If you found one, the hook up is, as always, somewhat of a pain, unless you have small hands or some available.

If they have the completer ignition switch, you will need a new gasket for the firewall, and the coil that the cap fits on. If the ignition switch's armor cable is old it may need rebuilding -- not cheap to have done, but the old wires insulation comes apart with age.

Other than that a piece of cake. Remember it is just a hobby.

;D
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille

harvey b

Hi Lou,if you install the proper switch with the armoured cable,you will need the right coil too,the coil "twist locks" into the little round cover,this covers the wire so the car cant be jump started to be stolen?,my car a 37 had the same setup as yours,had a aftermarket key switch,but the correct coil,I found one on ebay that had no key but was otherwise complete,i took it to a local lock smith and he was able to cut me a key for it,a problem with them is the wire inside them chafes and wears the covering of off it,what i did was remove some of the armoured part to get at the wire so i could make a new one,i  left about 3 inches on each end,it looks original as you cant see up under the dash easy,and i have the original style key too.The switches and coils do pop up on ebay quite regular,i think if you were to do the same as i did,i think a lot of years would work,not sure if i ewxplained it right but i think you can get the idea of what i did.  HTH  Harvey B

Harvey Bowness
Frenchfort PEI
Harvey Bowness