News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

GRIOTS detailing products

Started by hawaiicad1839, April 18, 2011, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawaiicad1839

I am about to dive into the most expensive detailing purchase I think I've ever considered, but before I do, I'd like to check with everyone here to make sure I get the right stuff at the right price.
At amazon.com I found a kit with the random orbital buffer for $199, but it is missing a few items. Its the same kit you can get direct from Griots Garage website only amazon offers free shipping.
I have also found some coupon codes online, but not sure if I can use them on amazon.
Is there anyone that can give me some help with this. Griots was the place recommended numerous times by several members here. After doing a little research, I can't see why I wouldn't go with Griots so my last concern being best price before I order, can anyone help me with getting the best bang for my $$ or is the kit on amazon it?
Aloha and Thanks,
Scott Bolter
Scott M. Bolter
1971 Fleetwood Limo Series 75
CLC#26579

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I don't know about the "kit" on Amazon you refer to, however I've been VERY
pleased with everything I've ever bought from Griot's.

All buffers are not created equal, so without knowing what you're looking at on
Amazon I can't commment further.  Griot's offers a money back guarantee if
you're not satisfied.

I bought one of the random orbital buffers and I love it.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

D.Yaros

I do not know what comes in any so called "kit?"  The essential is the buffer, obviously.  I bought mine from Coastal Tool.  It is a Porter-Cable 7424 variable speed random orbital.  Then there are the requisite pads and microfibre covers.  No way all of that should end up costing $300, IMHO.

Some may call it a buffer.  As I learned in my research, buffer is a misnomer.  Buffers are far more powerful and rotate only in a single direction.  The power of a buffer is precisely what makes it dangerous in the hands of the inexeperienced user.  Take my word for it, you do not want to gain that needed experience on your prized possession!  This particular buffer ranges in price from $95 to $249, depending on where it is purchased and what accessories come with it.  Mine, as the pic shows, came from Coastal Tool (http://www.coastaltool.com/a/port/7424xp_detailer.htm) at a cost of $115 ( a few years ago).  That price included a 6 inch weight and a 6 inch hook & loop pad.

It has had extensive use, and I am very pleased with it; in terms of reliability, ease of use and most importantly, results.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

I also can't comment on the contents of the kit you mention. However, I believe that Griot's is having a 'Free Shipping' promotion for the Spring season. Living in the same area as their headquarters I've been able to attend a couple events for demos and one of the free mini-sessions they offer for more of a one on one type thing also. Their random orbital buffer is pretty foolproof - they demo it by actually bearing down enough to stop the rotation and notice the instructions say to start it on the car; having seen a 'pro' take some paint off with a different kind of setup I'm a little gunshy anyway.

I've been very pleased with the detailing products I've bought from them with one caveat. In general, their MO is to have a specialty product for everything (...Now let's see...did I grab the LEFT fender polish or the RIGHT fender polish...) but every single time I have to say that while not cheap I find their products just plain work better than what I was using; when I'm done I'll notice something in the results is better even though I wouldn't have said that I was dissatisfied previously. Full guarantee and easy water clean up is nice also.

The caveat is the tendancy to use too much of the wax or polish products, especially bad with their "Best of Show" wax. Great stuff but really easy to use too much and I can attest it's *really* *really* hard to get off in that case. If you do it you'll need a spray bottle with either water or their spray wax. It's a big enough issue that they even have a video dedicated to that issue. Myself I'll use the carnuba stick and hope for better next time.

Also, it just seems like one could polish their car in a couple hours using the system. I've yet to get it done in less than a single weekend. Maybe it's just me.

Some guys I know will combine. For example, at the last show I was at I was chatting with a man with a really shiny truck like mine ('97 vintage) with a clearly stock paint job. He also had the same issue and so used Griot's polishes and random orbital buffer but with someone else's wax. I'm told that paint cleaning clay is all the same, that there is one formulation only. Mother's has their clay kit with much more clay for less money and for another example I use that clay kit but finish with Griot's stuff. And were I to run short of either the clay or the lubricant for it, I wouldn't hesitate to mix them.

My current project is the air cleaner housing for my 1941 convertible coupe - glossy black. Using Griot's products to remove the old wax and then the Mother's clay (again only becuase it's cheaper). Made a big difference. Now applying Griot's polish with one of the Mother's Powerball type things because the 6" random orbital buffer is just to awkward for this. I'll probably finish up with one of the wipe on/wipe off immediately gel waxes because they don't leave white residue, which on something like this with lots of inconvenient little nooks and crannys would drive me crazy.

HTH
Scott
1941 Cadillac 6267X Convertible Coupe
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Chris Conklin

I would say that Griot's will be the best bang for the buck. You may be paying more now, but it will last longer and work better both on the car and on the shelf. I'm with Scott on the wax, that big solid stick of carnauba is fantastic. I have used "Best in Show" wax also, but I always remove it using the "Speed Shine". That way I'm only sun-burned and not as achey from rubbing!  ;D
Chris Conklin

hawaiicad1839

The KIT I am referring to is the same kit Griots offers for the same price, but since I am in Hawaii, I must pay shipping from Griots. Amazon has the same identical KIT, but they cover all the shipping costs. As it turns out since the BUFFER or Random Orbital Polisher is a Griots product, it's covered by the same life time warantee. All you need to do is call Griots and let them know you have their KIT so they can put you in their system and as the rep told me when I called. It doesn't matter where you get their products whether it be Amazon.com or direct from them. They're just happy to have you as a loyal user of their products.
http://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-11605STDCRD-Machine-Polish/dp/B003V3XBCM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1303256941&sr=8-2
Take a look...
Scott M. Bolter
CLC#26579

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
I for one have NEVER had ANYTHING that I bought from Griot's been of anything but superior quality.  Cleaning, preserving polishing materials, tools, accessories of all kinds. You are going to put a lot of effort into this work, so why not buy materials of unquestionable quality.
It is sort of like a few years back when I fell in love with Maui Potato chips. I don't remember The actual costs, but I was having a local (Maui) store sending me cases of the chips Air mail to the Mainland.  The cost of the freight was three times the cost of the chips, but it was worth it.
Go with Griot's and you will be happy.;
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

HawaiiCad, reading your reply I'm wondering if I didn't get off the mark a bit. Seems I replied more to the satisfaction level with the Griots products than whether *that specific kit* seemed a good place to at least start. If so, sorry. I wasn't in a position to look at the kit link at the time.

Looking at the link it's about the same kit I started with. Overall seems a good place to start, the one omission I see is that they recommend their "Paint Prep" product to remove old waxes and silicones first before applying their polish and wax. I've used and not used it, don't know the difference in the results honestly. There's also a product to remove the polish before the wax, but again that's their MO. I don't have it personally.

Were it me, having some experience using their stuff, I'd price separately the random orbital, machine polish 3, carnuba stick, a red pad and an orange pad, speed shine (large, you'll use it a lot) and clay. The tradeoff being the custom little caddy and dvd/handbook (available on the web anyway).

If you want a smaller polishing/waxing size ability, either the 3" wheel or random orbital is available. I have neither myself but can understand they may be useful. I'm playing with the Powerball stuff as I mentioned, results are mixed.

I also would then add, however you can most inexpensively get the above, their rubber cleaning and conditioning kit (tires and hoses and such just look clean and new, not shiny black), interior cleaner, and plastic polish (good for lots of little things not just plastic).

Microfiber cloths and stuff - excellent from them, but of course lesser so available at other stores.

Hope this is more to what you're asking, if I was offbase.

Scott
1941 Cadillac 6267X Convertible Coupe
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

hawaiicad1839

Well, I ordered the 6", 3" and I believe enough product to start my own little business.
Hope I catch on quick. Can't afford to waste any. Figure I will practice on the hood of my Silverado.
Guess I'll let you know how it goes. The Cad and my '96 Impala SS are getting the full treatment soon I hope. Everything should be in by Tuesday...
WML
Scott M. Bolter
CLC#26579