News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

59 Cadillac HELP Needed!!!!

Started by Jeff Wilk, April 23, 2011, 11:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

SOS.......the journey continues......my Son and I removed all of the trim surrounding the entire roof and front and rear windshields from our 59 Sixty Special and took the car in for a full strip and repaint of the roof.  Car will be the factory two-tone white body with Black roof when done.  Thanks to the advice here, we even got off the roof drip rail WITHOUT any trouble!!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Now the problem.......

We noticed that there is some significant amount of rust at the lower rear windshield (under the lower molding), and that the front windshield is actually delaminating and the front gasket is breaking apart.  So now that all the trim is off we figured it is the best time to replace the front windshield and gasket, and to remove the rear windshield, clean it up, and replace that with a new gasket.

QUESTION........is it necessary to remove the interior dashpad (ie upper instrument panel) in order to replace the FRONT windshield and gasket????
??? ???

Is there anyway to remove the front windshield WITHOUT having to take out the interior dashpad, etc?  I've seen the detailed postings here about how to remove the pad, and I do have the shop manual......but for obvious reasons.....I really do NOT want to start the dash removal unless I absolutely must as I am sure it will lead to yet more of the ..... "repairs that should be done now that "we are at it"..... :-\

Thanks in advance........

Jeff & Noah
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Dan LeBlanc

Since you have the trim off and are going to replace the rubber anyway, cut away the old rubber with a utility knife from around the outside of the windshield.  The windshield will pop right out.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Bill Lucarelli #22702

It's not necessary to remove the dash pad to take out windshield.....but if you have any work to be done under the pad, like replacing dash bulbs, radio work or replace heat or A/C ducts, there is no better time than with the windshileld out...just food for thought!!!  Good Luck
1959  Eldorado conv
1958  Porsche speedster
1948  Plymouth woody