News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Seats for '65 Convertible

Started by mgbeda, April 26, 2011, 07:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgbeda

Hi everybody,

Several months ago I wrote asking about a '65 convertible that a friend of mine was considering buying.  Well he bought it and has been driving it around and getting things fixed up, and he is generally happy.  He asked me my opinion about what to do with his seats, and I gave it but I wanted to check with the forum and see if what I said made sense.

The car has what are almost certainly the original leather seats.  They are stiff and dry, the driver's seat has a few cracks in it and the tops of the seatbacks have split at the seams.  He said he can get them reupholstered in vinyl and cloth for $800.

Whoa, I said.  First of all I recommended that he try some leather conditioners to soften them up.  Second of all my opinion is that while new vinyl and cloth upholstery may look and feel nicer it would probably reduce the value of the car.  I've seen seats in a lot worse shape.

Secondly I said that if he wants to go the quick and cheap $800 route he should get a pair of seats from a junk car and have those reupholstered, then swap the seats out.  That way if he, or some future owner, ever wanted the original seats back the upholstery job would be reversible.

The money to do the reupholstery right (leather in original pattern) makes it not an option for him.

So...what do you all think of my swapping seats idea?  If he does that, what other seats would fit (what model years, body style, would Buick or Olds seats fit, etc.)  And do you agree that the original upholstery still has some value even though it's not in the best condition.

Thanks,

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Chuck Swanson

QuoteSo...what do you all think of my swapping seats idea?  If he does that, what other seats would fit (what model years, body style, would Buick or Olds seats fit, etc.)  And do you agree that the original upholstery still has some value even though it's not in the best condition.

Being that I have a spare bench from a '66 DeVille convertible, I think it's a great idea  ;D  Seriously though, if interested, I do have spare, consider it a core.  I will probably be heading down to Carlisle this Sat if you wanted to email me privately.  Someone here may be able to confirm/deny my core will fit.  Has 6-way seat control.
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T