News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

76 CDV cruise control chain question

Started by jeff elliott CLC #23590, April 27, 2011, 03:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff elliott CLC #23590

Hi,

could anyone tell me what the tension (or play) should be on the cruise control chain between the  carb throttle and the servo (power unit).?

regards Jeff.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jeff,
I don't know what the manual says, or if it even has a "setting" , but the chain should be just barely slack when the throttle is fully closed and of course, the cruise control is not energized.  Too much slack will result in both "hunting " and less than full throttle action.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

jeff elliott CLC #23590

Hi Greg,

thanks for quick reply, the cruise control on my car has never worked correctly (I imported the car abour 4 year ago from Colorado) it does tend to hunt or pulse, the chain is very slack and there is no mention of adjoustment in the workshop manual. so it looks like a good starting point to sorting out the problem (and at no cost).

best regards Jeff

joecaristo

I have an 77 Eldorado with cruise and it always surged and slowed down when the cruise was activated. It now finally works. The problem turned out to be the cruise control module. It looks like a red box inside the dash on the left hand side.
Joe
Joe Caristo

TJ Hopland

Just be sure that the chain is well locked into its clip after you adjust it.   Use a zip tie to be sure.  Had the one on my 73 adjust it self tighten one time.  Came off a freeway ramp doing a brake stand with the front tires smoking till I could get to a place to shut it off.

For the surging start out with a hand held vacuum pump and gauge and check things like the brake pedal release valve and other hoses and such.  At this age chances are good there is a cracked hose somewhere causing a leak so you just dont have a good strong vacuum signal. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

mgbeda

They must have changed the system in '77.  The '76s were completely mechanical and everything was under the hood, near the firewall, except the switch and set button.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

jeff elliott CLC #23590

Hi,

I will adjoust chain tomorrow (day off work, due to royal wedding, why waste time watching TV) and see if it improves things. the system is mechanical the transducer etc. is on the firewall so changes would appear to have been made in 77.

to change the subject a little bit, I bought the car from a dealer in Sunny Parker CO which I believe is about 50 miles from you Mike, which is not a great distance in American terms I guess.

regards  Jeff

TJ Hopland

I thought the change was 78 but it may have depended on the body style.  I imagine the Seville got to try all the new tech stuff at that time then it worked onto the other models. I know around there somewhere they went from the under the hood in the cable sensor to a electronic sensor in the dash speedo head that talked to a module under the dash that then operated the vacuum servo on the engine. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jeff,
After you adjust the chain, go out and use the cruise control for a while.  They are mechanical devices and after not being used for extended time will frequently need to be used to work correctly.  There is a good section of the service manual about them and if you are carefull they are not hard to disassemble and clean.  The transducers which is essentially the only "working" device are still available.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-