News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rear control arm bushings

Started by Brett Moore, April 28, 2011, 07:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett Moore

Hey folks,

I will be taking apart my rear end soon and would like to replace all 8 control arm bushings at the rear.

I only found these Raybestos ones, but I can't tell what arms and what location they are for...any thoughts? Or are they all the same?

RAYBESTOS Part # 5701006 More Information About this Part Professional Grade; 2 Bushings - Silentbloc
Rear Suspension

Part Image
   $40.79
Add to Cart

Thanks in advance,

Brett Moore

blue68deville

I just bought those for my 68, it says they are the same for all 8. The factory service manual says they're physically the same size, but made of different rubber compound top and bottom. Of course that was 40 years ago and bushings have come a long way since.
I haven't installed them yet, maybe next weekend if I can get time.
Rock Auto had the best price by far.
Clay Tynan
68 Sedan DeVille
Centennial, CO
CLC #27486

blue68deville

I got them done yesterday, the upper originals had the same part info molded in the rubber as the new ones. My lowers were pretty hard to read, they may have been the same also.
If you don't have a press AND a good air hammer, I would recommend having someone in a shop install them.
Clay Tynan
68 Sedan DeVille
Centennial, CO
CLC #27486

Scot Minesinger

Hi,

I replaced my rear control arm bushings on both my 1970 Cadillacs and it is well worth doing.  To reomve the old ones you have to be very carefull of the control arms because they are extremely weak relative the bushings and the front control arms.  I removed my old ones by using a carpenter's type metal hole saw and drilling out the rubber section.  Then carefully with a hack saw cut but not cut through the bushing casings from inside the rubber hole in several locations.  Then the existing bushings can be colasped and removed.  You can drive the new ones in if you have a circular support (a thick piece of pipe just laregr than the hole in the control arm).  This piece of pipe must be underneath the arm and inside the arm.  The inside section must be split (for removal) and cut to exact length.  It is a pain to make all this stuuf up, but the ride quality improvement is worthwhile.  This is a good weekend or winter project since it is not urgent.

Good luck,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Glen

Scot is right about supporting the control arm to prevent collapsing as the bushing is pressed in.  If you have access to a hydraulic press that will make it easy to install the new ones.  If not then you can use a threaded rod with washers and a cup to press the new bushing in. 

I will make a suggestion though and that is to heat the old busing with a propane torch a little, it does not have to be very much but if done right the rubber and center parts will slide out with ease.  Then you can collapse the outer case and remove it. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104