News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1954 w/PB losing brake fluid

Started by phildeville@cox.net, May 02, 2011, 02:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phildeville@cox.net

My 1954 CDV keeps "losing" brake fluid.  About 1/2'' in the reservoir per 200 miles.  The hydro-vac, master & all 4 wheel cyl's are dry & show NO signs of leaking.  Could it be getting pulled thru the PB vacuum line & burned in the engine?  The brakes work OK & the car stops just fine.

Phil
Phil Terry  CLC# 15270

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Phil:

Yes, your hydrovac is probably leaking internally and the engine is sucking
brake fluid in via the vacuum line.  This is a relatively common problem on
old units. 

If the booster has never been rebuilt, looks like it time to do so.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

phildeville@cox.net

Mike,
I had hoped you would chime in on this thread.  The unit was rebuilt 2 years ago.  It was an exchange part from Arizona Vintage Auto Parts in Phoenix, although I found it in Hemmings.  It was advertised with a 3 year warranty & I will soon see if that is true.

Phil
Phil Terry  CLC# 15270

Coupe

I'd check the vacuum line to see if it's wet. If you're losing brake fluid thru engine you should see some white smoke. If it's a slight leak may be not.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

CEC #20099

Phil; I have had several 55`s with the Hydrovac. Yes, the engine vacuum is pulling the brake fluid in, & burning it. If you are using DOT 3 Fluid, this will not cause damage. If you are using Dot 5 silicone, you are in serious trouble, as Silicone turns to sand inside the engine, & will destroy the engine. Your booster rebuild is obviously defective. Get it redone by a competent shop.
c chleboun #20099