News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rear end sag/'76 coupe

Started by kevinanderson, May 02, 2011, 08:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinanderson

Will a set of good shocks restore the rear ride height? This is a non Level Ride car.  Car has 40k miles. Could stand about a 4 inch boost. Thanks
Kevin

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Kevin,

In a word, NO.

Basic Shockers will only assist in the handling of the vehicle as it is being driven.

In your case, the Springs are the only thing that dictate the ride height.

Superlift Shockers could be fitted, to raise the vehicle, and that would require fitting Inflation Points at the rear to pump up the Shockers to the desired ride height.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

New springs or aftermarket air shocks are your options.   I would first try the air shocks.  They are about $100 for the pair.  There were only a couple of designs that covered most of the GM's from the 60's to 90's so they should not be that hard to find.  Some come with the air line kit, some its separate for about $20.  It has a valve on it like a tire so you can fill them with a tire pump or air compressor.   It will take you a while to figure out the proper pressure but I have found that once you find it you rarely have (or want) to change it.  If you think it changes the ride too much you can always then get new springs and run them with no air so they act like regular shocks.   I have had them or installed them in all my older big cars.  I dont think you will be disappointed.  They are usually easier and cheaper to install than springs.   Usually you can mount the valve back by the gas filler or under the bumper.  The lines are tiny so you can put them just about anywhere.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Chris Conklin

I'd say to go for the springs. Especially since it is a non-ALR car, the springs have got to be pretty weak to sag that much.
Chris Conklin

mgbeda

I'd go for the springs as well.  Then you have it fixed right. 

I changed the rear springs on my '76 SDV and it was easy.  Basically once you disconnect the shocks the springs fall out.  The new ones I had to squeeze a little to fit in, but not much; I did it by hand and I am not very strong.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)